Main Menu

Beer. Making more Beer to have more beer. And then you can make more beer...

Started by kawahonda, October 16, 2018, 09:39:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Got into home-brewing recently. What a cool hobby.

I had my older friend train me. I purchased all his gear. We made a batch of Amber ale. It's in the bottling phase right now.

I decided to make a two batches of triple hop IPA with a strong mosaic hop finish. I improved upon what he knew which was pretty much limited to the knowledge of the 1980s (a lot has changed since). I'll probably finish one batch with habanero and leave the other one alone.

I decided to make this thread instead of making a thread explaining why you shouldn't just automatically convert to electronic ignition and how it will NOT give you any additional ponies.

So I decided to post about beer instead. Enjoy!

:drinkingbud:

Who else makes beer? It's science, and it's damn cool.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

larry4406

I used to home brew.  Built a tiered recirculation infusion mash brew setup with gas burners using kegs.  Used to keg the beer in the soda corny kegs.  Started culturing yeast as well.  All the stuff is still downstairs, unused 15 years later.

Morty426

I tried it a couple of times and never had any luck

Have a Hop Farm growing to the south of me

Spikedog08

A member here @ViperMan is our beer making member!  He typically brings a keg or 2 to our club meet each year at the Carlisle Chrysler show!  Has been doing it for some time now and he is also a certified beer judge and can go to competitions and judge all the beers for awards.  I have seen him win gold with a few of his beers so definitely into it!   I'm sure he will chime in here soon! 

:twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

Hey wait a minute! He judges and he wins gold. Does anyone find this a little fishy?  :haha:  :cheers:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda_mark

A buddy of mine (he's a B-Body guy) brews his own...its really good. I've never had the time or ambition to do so.

I do have a really good brewery 20 miles away (Treehouse Brewery). They supposedly have some of the best brews in the USA. I'm headed there this afternoon to stock up!

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

jimynick

Quote from: HP_Cuda on October 17, 2018, 12:10:46 PM

Brewing is so 1990's, distilling is the wave of the future!!!

:rofl:
Ya know, even though I think you said that, to take the piss out of the brewing lads; that you're right about the distilling thing. It's gotten bigger and shows no signs of slowing down here in Canada at least. The # of gins you can now buy is increasing by leaps and bounds.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

Man, wish I was closer to you!!!  I would love to "help" you with some of that beer.   :drinkingbud:

GY3R/T

I see a can of paint on the floor. When do you add that ?    :pokeeye: :))

kawahonda

I am making a habanero tincture. I will try it out on over-the-counter beer, and then I'll calculate it for a 5 gallon batch.

No paint chips in this one!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

ViperMan

Cheers!  As @Spikedog08 mentioned, I've been homebrewing since 2011.  I started competing around 2013 and became a certified beer judge in 2015.

I've kinda slowed down my brewing a good bit on account of a kid and working 50+ hour weeks and having a few too many cars in the garage to maintain...  :)  But I still try to get a batch together every once in a while!

I do however have the fastest jockey box in the world!!

The ViperBox!!!

HP_Cuda

"Small distillers are always looking for ways to get their product to market fast,"

Unfortunately everyone wants to be a potato juice maker since it takes no time to crank out and ship. I for one believe that the slow aging process cannot be replicated.

Sure some folks in Cleveland will like it but I don't think these new processes to speed it up will garner the same appreciation very good whiskeys and bourbons. I've even seen a guy who throws in pieces of oak like chips and then has a electro-aging process.

To each his own I guess......
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

340challconvert

Good for you.  Looks like a lot of fun and the end result is worth it!  :drinkingbud:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible