Main Menu

BEWARE - Misleading eBay Product - AMENDED, Reply#12

Started by Jay Bee, May 16, 2021, 07:23:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I bought this rear axle brake hose from eBay seller Motorcity Super Cars https://www.ebay.com/itm/391926498752 and it was 1 inch+ shorter than my original. I called Inline to ask why their site only lists "H610" for 66 - 69 B body. They said Motorcity is one of their stores (I'm guessing like a franchisee) and perhaps they think it'd work on an E body too.

When I screwed it into the brass distribution block I couldn't get it into the mounting bracket. "Maybe " if I put it into the mounting bracket first then screwed it into the block it might of worked but I wasn't prepared to try that.

So, if any one needs this and hopes it'll work on their E body, all the power to ya.

340Challman

Thanks for the info Jay Bee. I am in need of that as well. Do I understand that you found one locally? Where at?
Kevin

anlauto

I think your expectations are much too high on reproduction parts.. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mk

Excellent info Jay Bee....... thanks for sharing !

Jay Bee

Quote from: 340Challman on May 16, 2021, 07:56:09 AM
Thanks for the info Jay Bee. I am in need of that as well. Do I understand that you found one locally? Where at?
I'm in Canada but the place was called Carquest Auto Parts. Any reputable parts store should be able to get it. Ask for '72 - '74 Barracuda or Challenger. I'll post a scan my invoice tomorrow, bag is long gone. Challenger is included under Application Summary. Bear in mind that a E body '70 axle brake hose in itself is not available, the work around replacement has the distribution block attached as one.

Quote from: anlauto on May 16, 2021, 09:23:21 AM
I think your expectations are much too high on reproduction parts.
The reproduction part is perfect if I had a '66 - '69 B body with an  8 3/4 rear. Perhaps my expectation was too high in a eBay seller being honest when he claimed it fit '70 - '71 E body.

Jay Bee

@340Challman here's the invoice. It's a big hi res file so if you can't read it just download it and the fine print will be clear as day. P.S. Never mind that, looks like the site resized it smaller. It is legible if you click on the image.

Jay Bee

Just remembered, had these pics on my HD.

BIGSHCLUNK

John, glad you got it figured out...

YellowThumper

Yea, all the combining of part numbers the aftermarket is doing is horrible for the end user.
Just went thru the same issue on my other project. 64 Falcon.
Every........ supplier I tried (5 in all) all had replacement 1" shorter than original and would not work.
Had to do my own research and used one from an F100. Same issue with distribution block also.
Thanks for your heads up. Will go that route for my replacement.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

340Challman

Thanks @Jay Bee My local store doesn't have it but can get it no problem. Sorry you had to find it the hard way, but thank you from the rest of us.  :slapme5:
Kevin

anlauto

I just go to RockAuto for all this kind of stuff :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jay Bee

Quote from: 340Challman on May 17, 2021, 08:00:41 PM
My local store doesn't have it but can get it no problem.
My place had to order it in too, took less than a day. What I find weird is the feedback for it on eBay uses the word "Perfect".

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2021, 04:42:16 AM
I just go to RockAuto for all this kind of stuff
I tried there first and didn't find it on their website. Maybe I should have called them instead.

Jay Bee

Okay, I need to make an amendment because I was under the car yesterday.

When I originally tried installing that shorter hose the car was supported by the frame and the wheels were hanging off the ground. I noticed that when the wheels were on the ground it looked like there "might" be enough slack to install that thing at both points. But, if it can, I think it would be under too much stress every time the car were hoisted up by the frame.

This could explain those positive eBay reviews. Anyway, I saw something so I said something.

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 20, 2021, 04:38:14 AM
Okay, I need to make an amendment because I was under the car yesterday.

When I originally tried installing that shorter hose the car was supported by the frame and the wheels were hanging off the ground. I noticed that when the wheels were on the ground it looked like there "might" be enough slack to install that thing at both points. But, if it can, I think it would be under too much stress every time the car were hoisted up by the frame.

This could explain those positive eBay reviews. Anyway, I saw something so I said something.

Or when you're jumping the car Dukes of Hazzard style  :burnout: