Main Menu

Buying cool pieces you don’t need

Started by CudaMoparRay, March 25, 2019, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

Tell me your stories because I have done it.
I bought a Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter handle eventhough I had an automatic at the time and could not use it just because it was so beautiful and a piece of art that felt good in the hand.
Also had a Dodge Challenger Flip Top Gas cap for the same reason when I owned a Plymouth Barracuda.

6Pack70

I bought these a few years back from a guy mostly because I thought they were so cool.....and the price was fair.  I eventually listed them and got quite a pretty penny for them. 

IRON MAN

About 30 years ago bought a Mallory dual-point distributor with a tach gear drive provision. Restored it and never used it.

Floyd

Not car-related.  Found this Art Deco exit light and spent some time adding a light.  Why?  I do not know....

Brads70

I bought a bunch of AMX Javelin parts  long before I ever actually bought a Javelin.... does that count?  :looney:

jimynick

Quote from: IRON MAN on March 25, 2019, 05:09:06 PM
About 30 years ago bought a Mallory dual-point distributor with a tach gear drive provision. Restored it and never used it.
Well, if the day ever comes when there's a big EMP, you'll be the only guy driving around afterwards. I'm in about the same boat, with an Accell dual point distributor myself. LOL  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

340challconvert

Tools. Used to buy double and triple sets of wrenches at Sears (when they were still American made). Do I really need at least three open/closed end 3/4 wrenches?  Glad I have them today though. :wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: I have way more tools than I need but it helps get the job done when you need them.
Sheldon

Brads70

After thinking about it I have a Smokey Yunick sbc sy1 intake that I just can't seem to part with. Mind you not very many people know I have one.  :thinking:   might just be the last Chevy part I have left. Looks cool sitting next to the Mopar version I also have STR-14 with single 4bbl and a 6 pack lid I bought planning on converting it to FI.

72 Challenger

I was at a junkyard once with a buddy pulling parts from an old jeep that threw a rod and a piston through the block. I removed the damaged rod and piston and bought it off the guy for a dollar. It looks cool on top of the tool box.
Someday I will have a J0b.

challengermaniac

I bought and still have a 69 Camaro SS Hood with the eight chrome inlets to hang in my garage even though it will likely never replace the Z/28 cowl hood that sits on the car today.
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

anlauto

When I bought the "World Famous Barrelcuda" it was only missing the shaker air cleaner assembly....I didn't much care at the time because it was rusted garbage and I had a better one anyhow....
So moving forward I restored the car and eventually sold it.....

Then a couple of years ago the guy that sold me the car was vending at Moparfest and low and behold there was the complete original shaker set-up from the Barrelcuda :verymad: ....I stupidly bought it for big $$$  :headbang: and now it just sits on a shelf....I still have the original shaker hood too  :huh:  memories I guess :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Oh....does buying an AAR project and then just putting it into storage count  :Thud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

Picked this up at Carlisle last year. Not sure what I'm going to use it on. Maybe wall art.

Claudia

I have been buying, selling and trading parts working toward putting my '71 Cuda back on the road and decided after selling off all of the doubles of parts that came with the car . . . I now want to build a rear panel to hang on my wall . . .  :headbang: