Main Menu

copper plated connecting rods

Started by Burdar, December 19, 2019, 06:42:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I knew Chrysler did this when a rod was found to be undersized.  Instead of scrapping the rods, they would copper plate them to bring them up to spec.  I have a 440 rod that is completely copper plated.  I just found a Chevy rod that is copper plated as well.  However, just the big end is plated.  Looks a little strange doesn't it?  Just thought it was cool and wanted to share.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did the same thing.

JS29

WOW! I have never seen that before.   :lookatthat:

oldmoparbuff

I learned something new today.
Thanks for sharing.

YellowThumper

Interesting tidbit to learn.
Thanks for posting up info.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

jimynick

That's a new one on me, too, but I wouldn't be happy to find one in my engine. They used copper because it sticks and gives a good build-up to get the rod back to proper size, BUT that also puts nice soft, malleable copper between the rod body and the bearing shell! Not desirable in my opinion. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

Burdar

There are a few posts about it on Moparts.  That's where I first read about it.  There's one picture over there that shows a 440 with all 8 rods copper plated.   I don't think that's the norm though.

Cuda Cody

That is something I never knew.  Thanks for sharing.

dodj

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on December 19, 2019, 08:57:49 AM
I learned something new today.
Me too!
I don't know what I will do with my new found information....but it is interesting!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

aussiemark

Motorcycle rods are all fully coated.