Main Menu

Dash Pad Vendor

Started by nicka, November 27, 2022, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

YearOne is farming out customer steel dash pads that need restoration.  Anyone know who's the vendor?

anlauto

Dash Pad Pros Elpaso Texas
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty

I thought Al Knoch was doing pads for Year One... :thinking:

71cudaddict

nicka

I was reviewing customer responses with the current vendors and I recall reading about puffy dash pads, wrong grain, hit or miss, and one with a "F" from the BBB. A dash pad restore is not cheap so good to know where it's getting farmed out to.

JH27N0B

As far as I know, there's only 2 players in the business, Just Dashes and whatever name Alan Fox in El Paso is using that day.  And I'm pretty certain Just Dashes just restores dashes directly for customers, meaning that any dash pad you find advertised for sale through any vendor is coming from El Paso.
They both use grain that's off a bit from correct. Just Dashes work is too puffy.  The dashes coming out of El Paso can be hit or miss as far as fitment and sometimes quality and their customer service has had a dubious reputation. Therefore their product is best purchased in person at one of the shows they vend at, or through a larger vendor who has some pull with them if there is a problem with the product you purchased from them, or getting a core charge back after returning your core.
Just Dashes is more expensive too.
No perfect choice here, just a choice of the better of two flawed sources.

nicka

I removed the foam pad from the sheetmetal and noticed green paint. I have a triple green car.  Assuming this part was painted before the installation of the pad and vinyl?

anlauto

The metal frame typically never get painted get the pad goes on top. Does yours have paint under to foam, or in areas that are open like the speaker area?
Yours could have been painted by someone in the last 50 years, or even painted at the factory if they were short on green pads :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

nicka

Here's what I saw after removing the pad.

anlauto

Might be some sort of glue or primer for glue  :dunno:

nicka

tparker

Here is a photo of my frame. It is hard to tell but it looks like there is some green "paint" in some areas and maybe black in others. I sanded on section that is bare metal. The rust is natural and not factory  :))

I also included my dash photos after I got it back from Just Dashes. It was a bit over $1000 about 5 years ago or so. Not sure about the puffy comment. I don't have another challenger to compare to so it's hard to tell, but it looks good. It may be a bit more puffy that the original but not by much. I have a couple old photos maybe I can do a comparison against. My problem with the dash is it is starting to crack near the vents by the window. It is brittle now. I left it unprotected in the sun. I figured it would last a little longer, it's only be maybe 5 years and has been covered at times. That sucks.

nicka

Warm weather on the Delmarva coast allowed me to work on the instrument cluster and dash pad.  Using dp90lf, herbs dark green metallic, and a base to keep it from scratches.  It will need a dash pad.