Main Menu

Does anyone know the towing capacity of a dodge a100 pickup? Or van?

Started by 72 Challenger, June 30, 2020, 05:37:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hey guys odd ball request but at least mopar specific.

Does anyone know the towing capacity of a dodge a100 pickup? Or van? They came with a variety of slant six motors upto the 318. I can't find a reliable source on how much they can tow.

I'm thinking of a new project. If I could combine my new project with towing capacity I might be able to attend more shows further away.

For those fellow Canadians it was also a Fargo a100.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Someday I will have a J0b.

Chryco Psycho

I doubt they would be rated for very much , I believe they were unibody not full frame , wheelbase is key longer being better & the springs can be improved & you can use a equalizing hitch to be safe but you probably still need to reinforce the frame ares where the springs mount .
I don't recall ever seeing one towing anything , a 250 truck with a camper would be safer

72 Challenger

I have gone up and down the internet looking for information. They made several version with different suspensions etc... but they all speak to the payload of the truck or alternatively the a100/108 van. I know that leaf's can be added to the suspension and rear gear ratios can be changed and it did come with an optional bumper with a tow hitch. I agree that a pickup would be the easier choice but I don't really want one. I want something different and I think the straight axle and forward driving position of this would make it a unique driver for just putting around town too.

I am looking to have the ability to tow a car on a car trailer. Right now that is a Duster but in the future could be another e-body or a Ferrari if the lottery turns up in my favour lol. I think the unibody could handle that payload.

RUNCHARGER

Owners manual might state it. Dad pulled a 3500lb Airstream with his unibody 71 Chrysler but I wouldn't tow as much with an A100. I haven't been under an A100 for awhile but they were a lighter duty pickup than a D100 I think. Weak brakes, slow manual steering and shorter wheelbase.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

looks more and more like this option as a fun builder, don't care if it get's dirty car is not going to pan out. I was hoping it handle the trailer weight of a car. But 1,000 lbs of trailer plus 3000 lbs of car is likely taking the a100 to it's limits with out some serious work.

hmmm...back to the drawing board. If i could store it I would really like a ramp truck.

Chryco Psycho

Just a thought but I bet you could mount the body on a real truck frame .
You would need a aluminum Trailer to get near 1000 lbs & A light Mopar @ 3000 , you would be lucky to be around 5000 lb towing weight with an E body.

challengermaniac

And towing with a 3 or 4 speed transmission is not going to be fun given it always needs to down shift on the slightest of hills.  The new 6 speed trans are really superior for towing.  Don't want to kill the dream, just have the collective thoughts before starting the project!   
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

Chryco Psycho