Main Menu

Dogs don't know how to deal?

Started by gumby, May 19, 2018, 06:42:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gumby

DEALT with the 13 y.o. dog being put down today - it had to be. Sucked, it is what it is. Yeah, I cried.

I want to know how to deal with my other dogs that are tying to figure out what is going on? It's got to be WAY worse for them, then it is on me.
I didn't think that they would notice for a day or two. They notice right away. Been with dogs all my life. Never figured this one out?

13 year old companion. POOF! gone.

How to comfort the younger ones?

What do you do? It's real. They mourn. How do you deal with it, for the other doggies?

71-440

I've lost dogs over the years and yes I cried too.
The last one we lost left us one. She looked for the other dog for about a week.
Don't know the answer to your question though as I never figured it out myself.
Animals grieve just like humans and they will eventually accept the fact that their brother/sister is gone.

Sorry for your loss. :andyangel:
Joe

dvs cycles

When our male Shar- Pei died at home at 5+ years  from probable internal cancers the younger female , who lived to 13, walked in the room and walked out. Our vet said they deal with it unlike us. He often invites the other dogs to be there at the time of departure and they all seem to know when their time has passed. Wish that was as easy for us.

Jim AAR

First of all,  :sorry: for your loss, it sucks to lose a pet, nothing makes it better but time.

Yeah they know for sure.

Just went through this when our Papillion "Vixie" passed away at home a few months ago.

After she passed we put her on her dog bed and let our other dog and cats go up and smell her and pay their respects however they do it for a couple of hours until we took her to be cremated.

We have done the same with our other cats and dogs that have passed.

They do mourn though for sure, she was the oldest pet we had at the time and all the others came into the house as puppies or kittens so she was the mother hen.

Our only other dog moped around the house for at least a month though, hard to tell with the cats but they do become extra affectionate for awhile after though.

All we usually do is pay extra attention to them as they do to us because they can sense that we are sad as well.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet on how to deal with it.

Again,  :sorry: for your loss.

gumby

I cremate all of mine also. They will be buried with me.

It's just the male (fixed) misses his "mate". Understandably (is that a word?) - after at least 10 years together. He has nothing to do with the new sister puppies.
Introduced 6 months ago.

I just wondered if anyone had insight on how to lessen the pain for him.

Spikedog08

I have no good advise . . Been through it too many times.  Yet still have a dog . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Bullitt-

Sorry for the loss off your pup... No idea how to help the others but I did google dog grieving and there are resources online   :console:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

Sorry for your loss , dogs are awesome companions

WCC

Pets are like 'kids' in the house and when a fur child passes on it is literally like saying goodbye to a dear family member. I think it is the same for the other pets left behind - they go through a very similar feeling of void.
Sorry for your loss and time does heal the void, but it's not easy. I always take comfort in the Rainbow Bridge poem.
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

303 Mopar

:iagree: We become very attached to our pets so it is hard to say goodbye. Sorry to hear.

JS29

BIGSHCLUNK

Sorry for your loss...been there more than once. Dont think for a second your pack does not go thru a grieving process just as we do. And you are the "alpha " of your pack. They will read you. I dont have a solution, but I'm well versed in pack mentality since working with the rescue

Timbbuc2

Sorry for your loss, have shed many tears for my dear friends in the past. I have one now that is going to hit hard, A Black Lab and he is too smart!
Get in, I'll drive