Main Menu

E-Bodies - Parental Advice Column

Started by anlauto, December 09, 2019, 07:08:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

When I first son was born I was so proud. I took him to the racetrack ( stockcar racing) and got some of those "racing fumes" into him. Thinking just maybe it would get him hooked on cars?

Didn't work...... :('   

:haha:   Just be careful Cody pushing around a stroller has an greater effect on women than a puppy! I remember taking my son down to the local waterfront park and all the strange women coming up to me..... never happened when I was single!  :rofl:

Dakota

I was traveling a lot when my kids were young, so I missed many of the magical moments like when they discover they have toes, which leads me to repeat Jason's advice about cherishing your time with them.  My add is to make sure you spend time with them. 

My wife and I have 3 sons.  The oldest would consistently listen to advice and trust explanations without argument.  The youngest would test the limits but mostly did what we wanted. The middle one tended to only learn from the consequences that he personally experienced.  It took me a long time (mostly after barely surviving their teenage years) to figure out that each one of them needed and needs a different approach to parenting from me. 

YellowThumper

Quote from: Dakota on December 12, 2019, 06:21:40 AM
I was traveling a lot when my kids were young, so I missed many of the magical moments like when they discover they have toes, which leads me to repeat Jason's advice about cherishing your time with them.  My add is to make sure you spend time with them. 

My wife and I have 3 sons.  The oldest would consistently listen to advice and trust explanations without argument.  The youngest would test the limits but mostly did what we wanted. The middle one tended to only learn from the consequences that he personally experienced.  It took me a long time (mostly after barely surviving their teenage years) to figure out that each one of them needed and needs a different approach to parenting from me.

Perfect advice.  Be aware of their requirements for growth and learning.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Do you Americans have some type of "Registered Education Savings Program"  and RESP ?
We do here in Canada...We started one for each of my kids when they were six months old. With my son heading to university next year, we have a good chunk of money saved already...thank Gawd ! :bigmoney: :bigmoney: :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

Yes we Americans do have similar. Savings plan earmarked for education.
Did that with my daughter. Limited means early on but we put away 80 dollars a month from early on. It netted over 30k for her college help.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

I heard is best to put the money aside under a separate investment account in your own name. You loose some tax advantage that education saving account has but you are in control in case your kid decided not to seek higher ed.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket