Main Menu

Features on new cars that are going extinct: keys, spare tires, idling?

Started by Cuda Cody, October 10, 2018, 06:07:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

The batteries should last quite a while but yeah they're spendy if you gotta replace one.. I would most likely lease any electric vehicle I use, always under warranty / maintenance, turn it in in 3 years and get a new one. The tech updates too fast to make buying one a long term deal.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
In Panama no battery will last 3 years most won't make 2 years , not paying to replace all the cells every 2 years  :Thud:

chargerdon

Quote from: HP_Cuda on October 13, 2018, 01:01:17 PM

Granted it seems that electric is the future but the lack of battery technology is really what is hampering it. Lithium polymer batteries are a fire risk, lithium ion batteries are good but cumbersome, there are new lithium LiCo batteries which have higher voltages but in the end all of these have serious shortcomings with longevity. The recharge rates or (C) are getting better which will help with recharge times but it somewhat affects cell longevity as well.

Hydrogen would be great if it didn't take more power to make than what you get out of it.

Additionally, the power grid's of today are totally inadequate although several utilities are building nextgen IGP (Integrated Grid Platforms) of the future. So hopefully we will gain better efficiencies in the near future. 

Ultimately we need to figure out if the power generated for said electric cars derives from cleaner sources otherwise what's the use? If we use fossil fuels to generate > 60% of that electricity we are headed in the wrong direction.

This is a multi-faceted problem which needs to serious attention to address.

I agree... just about every car company is now producing or planning on producing an all electric car.   BUT i agree with you in that is that really good for us?   Can the current power grid handle recharging all of these vehicles?   What percentage of our electricity comes from burning coal?    Meanwhile our government continue to give $7-$10 thousand dollar tax credits to encourage buying them.   Tax credits that only the wealthier people can take advantage...doesnt seem right !

RUNCHARGER

They could also lighten up new cars by deleting some other unused features these days. No need for spare tires, mirrors or gauges to name a few.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 20, 2018, 07:57:11 AM
They could also lighten up new cars by deleting some other unused features these days. No need for spare tires, mirrors or gauges to name a few.

Just cause people rarely use them doesn't mean you can remove them... How are women gonna check their makeup....

YellowThumper

Quote from: YellowThumper on October 12, 2018, 09:06:22 PM
To start with I have to thank Cody for starting this thread that i have spent much time on.

My 2c is that Electric cars are not the future. They are the current stopgap for what is next. IMOP it will be hydrogen fuel cells.

As there are a lot of pluses for electric. The minuses are a long way from being resolved. Key for me is the required charge time. Not conducive for long travels.
Now take and see how long the battery power lasts in the dead of winter in the midwest. Heater has to be heated v/s the byproduct of combustion.

Next is just food for thought. Every positive comment states how efficient they are. Has anyone considered how many millions of gallons of diesel fuel is used to mine the minerals to produce the batteries. I have wondered how long the RTI is for every battery powered car out there.

Not to mention the massive destruction of landscapes mining it. Oh well most of that is 3rd world countries that dont count...

Mike

As an update to my previous statement I read what appears to be a thorough article (not one that just states what I want to hear). It noted that the average break even mark from prior fuel usage mining and producing the batteries is about 31,000 miles.
Unfortunately I cannot find its link again.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

ledphoot

The break even point depends on several factors, for me it may be considerably less considering that I swapped a low MPG truck for an electric vehicle, which should be factored in to the equation. I am considering switching to one of my motorcycles as a primary commute vehicle and just driving the truck when weather is poor once I turn the Bolt in at the end of it's lease, to go without any payments for a while. We'll see if I am still man enough for that in a couple of years @ 50 :)

I am still intrigued with the idea of making my own electric car, seems like a fun project and there should be no shortage of components in a couple of years.

LinceCuda

Gas only for our family we love our gas hogs, and as far as classics nothing sounds better than a Big Block Mopar with old school header exhaust rolling down the highway at 90 MPH.  8)