Main Menu

For Ontario guys re licence renewal

Started by blown motor, September 30, 2024, 09:27:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Has anyone had trouble renewing there classic car licence plate online? I tried to do mine and it gives me a message that I'm not eligible at this time and that I can renew up to 180 days before it expires. It expires soon. This is for my pre 1983 vehicles and I have regular plates on them, not classic plates.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

last time you renewed, did you choose the 2 year option? Thinking maybe thats why it won't let you renew?

Jay Bee

What Brad said.
When renewing my Toyota last year (pre-automatic renewal)I was doing the Barracuda too and got that message. Upon investigation it was a two year.

The Barracuda expired this year and I got a email from the MTO then renewed it with no issues.

Cuda Cody

Curious... how much do you pay to renew?

Here in WA state we pay a one time fee and never have to register or license again.  It was around $75, but I think it went up to $100.

Jay Bee

It's FREE in Ontario now, used to be $120.00CAD per year. If you had Historical plates it was $15.00CAD per year.

jimynick

It's free Cody, at least so far. Used to be $100/120 a year.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: Brads70 on September 30, 2024, 09:58:42 AMlast time you renewed, did you choose the 2 year option? Thinking maybe thats why it won't let you renew?

Never thought of that. Most likely I did. Thanks Brad.

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on September 30, 2024, 09:27:36 AMHas anyone had trouble renewing there classic car licence plate online? I tried to do mine and it gives me a message that I'm not eligible at this time and that I can renew up to 180 days before it expires. It expires soon. This is for my pre 1983 vehicles and I have regular plates on them, not classic plates.
Classic cars like ours I believe are not available for online/automatic renewal. You have to go in person I was told. Still free, but in person.
I think RV's are in person as well.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gygeneral

I thought we didn't have to go through this whole renewal process anymore, didn't Ford change that? I never renew

blown motor

Quote from: gygeneral on October 01, 2024, 04:46:32 AMI thought we didn't have to go through this whole renewal process anymore, didn't Ford change that? I never renew

Vehicles older than 1983 do not get automatic renewal. You have to renew them and like dodj said you have to go into Service Ontario to do it. You can't do it online, that's what they told me when I called yesterday.

Jay Bee

Quote from: blown motor on October 01, 2024, 05:43:12 AMYou can't do it online, that's what they told me when I called yesterday.
I renewed my Barracuda on-line, see the partial screenshot of the receipt the MTO emailed me.

You can also be set up for an automatic email notice - 60 and 30 days prior to expiration.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-serviceontario-renewal-reminders#:~:text=Get%20free%20reminders%20by%20email,card%2C%20or%20Ontario%20Photo%20Card.&text=If%20your%20vehicle%20type%20is,if%20any%20action%20is%20required.

Jay Bee

So, dodj- blown motor, it would seem that whoever you're talking with is a bit confused. Below is a portion taken straight from the Service Ontario website (I added the red arrow).

blown motor

I guess the woman at Service Ontario that told me I had to come in just wants to see my handsome face.  :D

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on October 01, 2024, 12:33:25 PMI guess the woman at Service Ontario that told me I had to come in just wants to see my handsome face.  :D
MEH....its a curse right, but we endure. Likely the legs , wear shorts!  :) 

dodj

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 01, 2024, 07:11:31 AMSo, dodj- blown motor, it would seem that whoever you're talking with is a bit confused. Below is a portion taken straight from the Service Ontario website (I added the red arrow).

Hmmm...I was sent a snail mail letter from the MTO saying I could only renew in person...well, in the spring I'll try online and see how it goes I guess.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill