Main Menu

Fuel evaporation

Started by 7212Mopar, July 27, 2018, 09:37:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Tank sounded kind of hollow when knocking on it. Presumably most of the fuel was lost somehow. Car is kept inside the garage. I replaced the rubber fuel lines and every soft rubber lines are now the Gates Barricade EPA rated. No evidence of leak anywhere including the seal at the fuel gauge. I did find the two hose adapters at the fuel pump were not seated as far as it can go but there were no leak. I tighten them both further. I tested the fuel gauge and wiring last night with a spare sender I have and both are fine. The sender mounted at the tank did not work before but now seems to move a little away from empty. I am going to pour in more gas this coming weekend to see. Fuel leaks of disappearance makes me nervous.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

303 Mopar

Quote from: 7212Mopar on July 31, 2018, 12:48:05 PM
I am going to pour in more gas this coming weekend to see. Fuel leaks of disappearance makes me nervous.

Note how much you put in, and then double check with a wire hanger or stick that will reach the bottom and check the level.

Cudakiller70

Does your oil smell like gas?

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

Do your kids have a go kart or mini bike?   Not that we would know about such things... :rofl:

RUNCHARGER

Man: I remember a few times when I was young I had to siphon gas out of the Road Runner and pour it into the motorcycle a few times to make it to pay day.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

I have a locking gas cap but key is in the car. No one in my house will touch the car and I am certain of that. The engine oil smells fine no gas. There is always some gas smell around these old cars, nothing unusual. I am going to put gas in the rank this weekend to monitor.

Cudakiller70

Is your sending unit seated to the tank and locked in tight? I was just working on mine and could see the fumes in waves coming out, stunk up the garage real quick, taped over it while working on sending unit, am amazed how it still permeated out.

7212Mopar

I had the new gasket between the tank and sending unit. I reused the original lock ring because it is heavier gauge metal than the replacement and it is in great condition. It is sealed good and no smell at the back of the car. The gas smell is always at the engine bay, probably the carb. I did notice my locking gas cap is not tightly seated after the locking tab engaged. Thinking about putting a spacer between the flip out door and the gas cap so when closed there is some pressure pressing on the gas cap.