Main Menu

Generation Gap

Started by Filthy Filbert, September 30, 2021, 03:18:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

There are car guys in all generations.   That's a good thing.

But, why do the younger 'tuner car' crowd think it's cool to bounce off rev limiters?

Person down the street is working on a 'tuner'. Open header.   He's constantly reving it off the limiter.. "whaaaaamamamama,   Whaaaaaamamamamama, whaaaaaaaamamamamama'

All I can think is "poor engine. If only he knew better"

And yes, if I knew who it was, maybe I'd stop by and check it out, but I'm in the country, and the sound is a quarter mile or so down the street and could be any one of several houses.  I don't know exactly which one it's coming from.     No signs like a car in driveway with hood up as you drive by. 

Brads70

The one that makes me shake my head is the backfiring thing done on purpose?  :dunno:
I get the tuner thing, I have 3 sons and 2 of them are right into tuner cars. Its what's available and affordable. They like my cars just can't afford them yet. 

MoparLeo

Same here. I live on the end of a Cul-De_Sac and guys on both sides of me back out their Chevy's One has an old Nova the other guy an old Chevelle. Supposed big HP cars. Start em up. Rev the heck out of them for a few minutes ( Scares my dogs) put them back in the garage. Poor engines. No warm just start and rev. The guy with the Chevelle has had his towed away 3 times last year and never drove it. Hasn't figured out that you can't do that. Has too much money I guess.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

blown motor

@Brads70 How do they make them backfire on purpose?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

7212Mopar

Fuel map and timing adjustment at the ECU. I think fuel cut delay or rich AF and advance timing will get you the crackling exhaust on decel.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Bullitt-

I can imagine my neighbors thinking similar things 46-years ago...

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: 7212Mopar on October 01, 2021, 07:41:01 AM
Fuel map and timing adjustment at the ECU. I think fuel cut delay or rich AF and advance timing will get you the crackling exhaust on decel.

I was unaware that they are purposely adjusting fueling to intentionally backfire on decel. 

There's also the "2-Step" on turbo cars that somehow allows them to build boost before loading the engine, back-fires extremely loudly out the exhaust like a gun going off.    In fact recently here in Ohio there was a shooting at a dragstrip and spectators thought it was a 2-step.

note: I wasn't starting this as an angry old man "get off my lawn" rant;  just a fun casual observation as I was outside yesterday.

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on October 01, 2021, 06:03:41 AM

They tune the ECM so fuel explodes in the exhaust when they let off the throttle.  Some think its really cool, the louder the better but it pisses off most people , hence the attraction. 

7212Mopar

I think newer engines have phased cam timing controlled and adjusted by the ECU. They can play with the cam phasing to change overlap allowing unburned exhaust gas get in the tail pipe.

I was driving in the mountain last weekend and behind a lowered tuner Acura RSX. He was doing his downhill high speed "Initial D" thing and I decided to get on his tail on a quiet, no traffic section of the road. I think he was surprised by a 50 years old car staying right behind his tail all the way downhill for about a mile. A few low speed 20 mph corners (posted) doing around 35-40 mph. I let go once approaching a town where cops are known to be around. I was delighted how the car handled but did feel my rear losing some traction in the corners so more sticky tires would help.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on October 01, 2021, 12:42:51 PM

They tune the ECM so fuel explodes in the exhaust when they let off the throttle.  Some think its really cool, the louder the better but it pisses off most people , hence the attraction.

So that's intentional, huh?  I always just assumed that they were bad tuners...

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on October 01, 2021, 08:51:49 AM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on October 01, 2021, 07:41:01 AM

There's also the "2-Step" on turbo cars that somehow allows them to build boost before loading the engine, back-fires extremely loudly out the exhaust like a gun going off.    In fact recently here in Ohio there was a shooting at a dragstrip and spectators thought it was a 2-step.

Another thing that I learned today.  IMHO, these cars sound like complete $h!t at the track, but some of them sure do go fast!

blown motor

I imagine they just sound bad to the old school muscle car crowd like us. We probably sound bad to them.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on October 01, 2021, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on October 01, 2021, 12:42:51 PM

So that's intentional, huh?  I always just assumed that they were bad tuners...

Yes some just go for the "gunshot" sounds. Pretty hard on equipment though....

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on October 01, 2021, 02:15:25 PM
I imagine they just sound bad to the old school muscle car crowd like us. We probably sound bad to them.

I get the " rebellious youth" thing.... we all went thru it in some form but this just seems dumb to me?
Go buy some firecrakers if the noise is what spins your crank. Cops are clamping down big time around here due to many complaints  causing all car enthusiasts to be lumped into one group...

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on October 01, 2021, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: blown motor on October 01, 2021, 02:15:25 PM

Cops are clamping down big time around here due to many complaints  causing all car enthusiasts to be lumped into one group...

I wish the cops would clamp down on something around here, anything really...