Main Menu

Get to work on a classic Chrysler next week

Started by Mopar Lady, September 25, 2020, 03:39:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar Lady

I get to work on a Classic Chrysler next week,a 1951 Chrysler Windsor.Noisey pump in the transmission and did pick up a couple special tools after leaving work from a great uncle mine,one is to hold the engine up.The other tools are for getting the pump out.This great uncle of mine was a Chrysler tech and lets me borrow tools,called him on it and said I needed a special tool to hold the engine up.This customer,he only lets me work on his classic Chrysler products.Knows I have a huge love of classic Mopars.Dropped it off with a noise complaint and said in the transmission doing a test drive.On one of my hoists with the fluid drained out already.This great uncle of mine told me don't drain the torque converter first,he is 98 years old getting around very well.Did find a place to order parts from including the fluid needed.Found the slide on youtube how to take it apart too.

Joegrapes

My parents bought a new 1953 Chrysler Windsor convertible. We had that car until the mid sixties. It had a weird kind of transmission. It had a clutch but with and automatic shifter on the steering column. You pushed the clutch in to put it in drive or reverse the when you wanted to shift gears you didn't use the clutch but just let up on the gas pedal. There was a part in the transmission that broke and wouldn't allow it to shift. They sold it and bought a 1964 Chrysler station wagon that I used to take my drivers test in the middle of winter here on Buffalo. Try parallel parking and doing a three point turn in the middle of winter when it's snowing out in a big Chrysler wagon. And the guy still made me use hand signals 😂. 

Mopar Lady

That is what it has.This car is one of his babies,complains when he sees a scratch.Knows I put clean blankets on the fender when I work on it under the hood.I found this video how to work on it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9iwSbrUgp8