Main Menu

Help me find something good to watch.

Started by nsmall, April 05, 2020, 07:27:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Quote from: Spikedog08 on April 06, 2020, 07:23:09 AM
Quote from: kawahonda on April 05, 2020, 10:42:41 PM
I'll shoot pool if there's beer involved.

Count me in!  Been hitting some by myself . . .
I like to shoot pool too, but I find you need the beer after you've cleaned and eaten a dozen or so.  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Swamp Donkey

I have a subscription to Motortrend.  I watch roadkill, engine masters, a kinda neat new show called Bitchin boot camp, Faster with Finnegan, Dirt Everyday, Hot Rod Garage, and Roadkill extra.  Lots of stuff on motortrend.  Even watch some Graveyard Carz.  I think YouTube has the first 90 or so episodes of roadkill for free.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

YellowThumper

Been burying myself int YouTube metal forming techniques.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Topcat

I watch Motor Trend channel at times.

Like Deadliest Catch & Moonshiners.

kawahonda

Uncle Tony's Garage is kinda like a poor-man's series on Mopars. I don't mean that in a bad way. Uncle Tony is cool as hell, even if some of what he does is questionable, I know enough to say that 90%+ of the time he is correct and dead on--he gives good advice on the whole. I was lucky to be watching his live-stream tonight (some of it). He seemed to be a bit worn out tonight, but he actually answered three questions of mine. They were not questions that I put any thought into, I just wanted to fish a little to test him some (not implying I know more than him, because I don't). However:

Q1: "What's the actual 1968-1971 340 HP rating"?

A: "I don't know, go look it up!"

Q2: "What's your thoughts on Petronix?"

A: "I don't care for it, but I know lots of guys run them and love them."

Q3: "Carter AVS vs Thermoquad."

A: "Thermoquad"

It's not that any answers were wrong, but they seemed a bit terse, not well explained or elaborated. I gave him $4 anyways because I love supporting people, especially ""celebs"" (big quote) that try to answer questions from viewers. Getting THREE questions answered is pretty unheard of. I think it helps to think as Tony as a personality. He's kind of the dude you just can't help but to watch, and to see what kinda wild stuff he's doing in his garage with little to no money. I get a feeling he's the type of dude who will reinstall most every part, fix what he can, and order absolutely only what he has to. I don't know, it's cool and it's entertaining and I can relate somewhat. I'm almost entirely sure his wife is the camera person in his videos, so it's not a large operation at all. If Tony was my uncle, I wouldn't be that upset about it, just saying. My uncles are boring as shit and hate Mopar. What really changed my opinion of Tony is watching him bring out that hot 318 4-door car that he drives now...late at night in Tennessee, hotrodding the living crap out of it around town. I'm 35 years old, and I don't have the balls to go do what he did in his video for nearly 20 minutes straight. At a base level, I like Uncle Tony because he's 60 going on 30. Still has the same huge passion that we all do. I can't imagine much here would say they have uncles like that...

Nick's Garage is truly legendary. I'd drop anything and everything off to Nick that I wouldn't want to deal with. I can't say anything else but to watch his show, every single damn episode. That guy is awesome and is truly knowledgeable. You get a sense that he is 100% Mopar, but isn't quite 100% Ford or Chevy, but he probably knows more than most of us on Ford and Chevy without having to resort to a manual and can do just as good as a "Ford" or "Chevy" person. His knowledge is impressive, and his work is impeccable. Nick will respond to you on his Youtube channel. He cares about his viewers. You can actually call his shop and he will pick up (not that I have or will). Nick is damn good-sauce. His videos actually allow you to learn a little bit too. In one video, he shows a trick of cutting the exhaust manifold gaskets so that they cannot be seen just like factory. I wouldn't have known or have thought of that if it wasn't for watching that episode. I friggin' love Nick.

I started watching Graveyard Carz for the first time and completed Season 1 and most of Season 2. Graveyard Carz is a bit more like Orange County Choppers (for those that remember that show). But like OCC, they add drama to keep it entertaining (Mark getting pissed/mad, shit going awry, etc). But I must give Graveyard credit, because even though some of the drama is there (not to the level of OCC) the Mopar fact stuff is 100% balls to the wall always. Mark is a master and I can tell he is just trying to put on a character in the show in order to keep it fun. I bet he's a real cool dude in real life.

In conclusion, Graveyard Carz is 100% Mopar, but you get a little drama with it. It's not free and you must pay to watch it, although Season 1-2 is free (they are up to season 10 and beyond now). Nick's Garage is free on Youtube and is a killer show, although, from a "film-makers" perspective it's more cut and dry and fact-based and there isn't a progression with the series. Uncle Tony is the backyard mechanic's video where you can still learn stuff, but it helps to see him more as a personality.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

nsmall

Thanks for the formula 1 recommendation.  One of the best series on Netflix.  I really enjoyed that one.

benlavigne

Quote from: kawahonda on April 16, 2020, 09:36:54 PM

Nick's Garage is truly legendary. I'd drop anything and everything off to Nick that I wouldn't want to deal with. I can't say anything else but to watch his show, every single damn episode. That guy is awesome and is truly knowledgeable. You get a sense that he is 100% Mopar, but isn't quite 100% Ford or Chevy, but he probably knows more than most of us on Ford and Chevy without having to resort to a manual and can do just as good as a "Ford" or "Chevy" person. His knowledge is impressive, and his work is impeccable. Nick will respond to you on his Youtube channel. He cares about his viewers. You can actually call his shop and he will pick up (not that I have or will). Nick is damn good-sauce. His videos actually allow you to learn a little bit too. In one video, he shows a trick of cutting the exhaust manifold gaskets so that they cannot be seen just like factory. I wouldn't have known or have thought of that if it wasn't for watching that episode. I friggin' love Nick.

In conclusion, Graveyard Carz is 100% Mopar, but you get a little drama with it. It's not free and you must pay to watch it, although Season 1-2 is free (they are up to season 10 and beyond now). Nick's Garage is free on Youtube and is a killer show, although, from a "film-makers" perspective it's more cut and dry and fact-based and there isn't a progression with the series. Uncle Tony is the backyard mechanic's video where you can still learn stuff, but it helps to see him more as a personality.

Nick is genuinely a good guy, I have the chance to be able to let him work on my cars (Look up ''Street-testing Challenger for my 71''), and my 70 was seen a couple times. While his work might not be 100% concours-correct, he offers a rare service: an actual garage that can get keep our old cars running! He's very much invested in the weekly videos, pays for all of it out of his own pocket (A little bit comes from branded products, not much), and he just loves interacting with people from all over the world. He's really looking forward to meeting viewers in person at Carlisle (fingers crossed). While they have never met, he's in regular contact with Uncle Tony!

I lost interest in GYC after the first season, too much drama vs actual content... I got a chance to watch the last couple of seasons after Dave Rea came on board, much better, more normal.... but now he's left... let's hope quality stays!

Ben

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

73_Cuda_4_Me

Bosch on Amazon Prime... pretty decent detective show...

:bigthumb:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B