Main Menu

I thought all of these died

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 10, 2019, 09:43:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2019, 04:41:37 PM
Yes: I remembered trying out a 5.0 Mustang 5 speed when they first came out and thinking "this is what car guys have wanted for so long". Apparently me and everyone else thought the same. The late 70's and 80's were pretty dark for car guys. That's why we love the old stuff though I suppose.

My dad says the same thing....In 1982 when the Ford Mustang GT 5.0 appeared it was what people were longing for..finally, a car to bring people out of the dark ages. When they came out, they had the weak 4-speed, not the 5. The 5 appeared later. They also introduced with the 7.5" rear end and 4-lug axles.

My dad was one of them that couldn't pass it up.

Problem is, I'll probably never be able to beat it with my 340 Challenger. :(

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

jimynick

While definitely a V8 RWD guy, I've got to say lads, that the homemade GLH-ish Horizon that my boys put together from pieces, is a Mustang eater of the first order! I had a ride in the little SBox one day and when it got on the turbo, it was nearly scary how quick the little POS hauled! It started as a 2.2 carburated, automatic, 4 bolt wheels box and ended as a 2.5 turbo and intercooled, 5 spd. fuel injected, 5 bolt wheeled mini terror. I remember the gutless late 70's and 80's and this little beast was one place where hot rodding could survive.  :sorry:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

FSHTAIL

Once you eliminate the Chrysler Electronics, they're very VERY reliable..
Used a Vw distributor and an MSD ignition..   

Ditched the smog bs equipment, I saw around 42mpg...
She wasn't a rocket with its 85hp engine, but it definitely was fun with a few suspension bits, handled great..
Built very similar to the E body..     All tack welds, unibody, ect.. 

my old 84 Rampage 5 speed..   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

JH27N0B

I just noticed looking at that picture of the wagon that it has a Grand Spaulding dodge sticker in the back window.  Mr Norms was closed by the time those cars were being built, so most likely a fellow Mopar enthusiast driving it.

Bullitt-

Ran across this Colt a couple of years ago in a local parking lot... Looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor..    Appears to be about a '77

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

Can't see the picture. That's been happening a bit lately. Has something changed here?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

I saw the picture of the Colt when I looked at this thread earlier, now the picture is not showing.  What the heck?

JS29

HP2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2019, 07:48:18 AM
Right car for the times that saved Chrysler. I drove one once when the dealer was doing a warranty thing on my truck. I tried to like Turbo Daytonas enough to buy one but never got that far.

Ditto. I tried really hard to  like them but ended up buying an '84 Z28 with the 5.0 HO engine, 5 speed, and installed a Rancho performance suspension kit in it. It was a load of fun to drive, even if it was not as powerful as my Road Runner.

Bullitt-

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 01, 2020, 07:46:37 AM
I saw the picture of the Colt when I looked at this thread earlier, now the picture is not showing.  What the heck?
I hotlinked to Google pics but that must not last ..  redone the old fashioned way
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

xx88man

Quote from: kawahonda on May 13, 2019, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 11, 2019, 04:41:37 PM
Yes: I remembered trying out a 5.0 Mustang 5 speed when they first came out and thinking "this is what car guys have wanted for so long". Apparently me and everyone else thought the same. The late 70's and 80's were pretty dark for car guys. That's why we love the old stuff though I suppose.

My dad says the same thing....In 1982 when the Ford Mustang GT 5.0 appeared it was what people were longing for..finally, a car to bring people out of the dark ages. When they came out, they had the weak 4-speed, not the 5. The 5 appeared later. They also introduced with the 7.5" rear end and 4-lug axles.

My dad was one of them that couldn't pass it up.

Problem is, I'll probably never be able to beat it with my 340 Challenger. :(

Are you being serious? A 340 Challenger won't beat a 5.0 Mustang?
Keep yer foot in it

kawahonda

A 340 challenger is at a definite disadvantage with a 5.0 fox body.

Think of the foxbody like an A-body Mopar....~300 lbs lighter....and a large amount of fox's came with manuals, where-as the 340 challengers did not....

Foxbodies prime years was 220 horsepower rated at the wheels...they were similar HP ratings IIRC...

A vanilla foxbody can expect to finish the 1/4 mile in mid 14s on a good run on street tires.

Getting a 340 challenger to do that requires a manual at the minimum or a serious rear-end/TQ converter change, and some minor engine modifications.

What I'm referring to in the quote is my father's 82 Mustang GT.....take a look at the picture again....my challenger would need a 408 stroker kit....and maybe...just maybe....
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

jimynick

Hmmm... my 72 Duster 340 4 spd with 3:55's and traction bars, but otherwise dead nuts stock, would run 14.2 @ 98mph pretty much anytime. And that was the de-tuned 340, so it shouldn't have a problem smoking a 5.0 Mustang, let alone a full house 68-71 340.  :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

torredcuda

Ex had an `87 Daytona Shelby Z 5 spd, I had a Turismo 2.2 manual. The Daytona was pretty quick for the times, I could beat 305 Camaros and T/As but those turbo Buicks could smoke it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on May 11, 2019, 01:04:49 AM
:))   Not many of those still around..... not that I'm too upset by that.
You won't see any up here in Thunder Bay. Those 'k's had no resistance to road salt. Rusted away right before your eyes. Kinda like the '70's Datsuns.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill