Main Menu

I went vintage motorcycle road racing this weekend

Started by jordan, July 29, 2019, 03:27:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

Its not car racing, but its racing.  I entered my first race in 24 years.  I haven't been on a track in 11 years on a motorcycle.  This past winter my buddy talked me into vintage road racing on a spare  1986 Yamaha FZ600 he has had sitting in his shop for 20 years.  He has a full race prep version of the same bike that he hasn't ridden in 20 years too.  He freshened his up, and he and I converted the second street bike into a race bike.  It is mostly stock except for suspension mods and a carb kit. 
    A couple of weeks ago I passed a racing school in order to be eligible to enter the AHRMA national series .  I had a blast.  The bike worked well enough but it still needed tuning.  Last week I got that done.  I then registered for the national races at Road America in Wisconsin. 
    Friday was open practice.  I studied and practiced my skills to get up to speed safely.  I was able to turn some respectable times.  It is very difficult to string together all the minutia to get an entire lap close to correct to be fast.  But to do it lap after lap is much harder than i remembered. 
     Saturday was my first race.  I totally dorked up the start.  Going three wide into turn one at 90mph was pretty scary!! I decided to lay back to be safe and then pick off my opponents.  I started getting the hang of it.  I ended up fifth out of ten.  My buddy and racing partner got a big fat DNF because his battery died on the starting line. 
      Sunday I was not feeling it in the morning.  I was tired and still full from late dinner.  I got through practice with a slipping clutch.  I kept adjusting the cable as I went down the straight aways until it quit slipping.  Then for the race, I got a better start.  I did have some going back and forth with a Kawasaki EX500.  I got in front of him on the last lap.  He tried to come around me in the last corner, but I had a better drive and just a bit more top end and beat him to the line by a bike length for sixth place.  My buddy Rob won the race with a well charged battery.  Good for him. 
      Next weekend we go to Gingerman Raceway in Michigan for the next round.  I have never been there and have a lot of learning to do. 
      Racing is so much fun.  I hope I can find my speed soon.  Im just a couple of positions away from a podium.   These are the only photos I have as of now.  Got more coming this week if anyone is interested.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Chryco Psycho

That is awesome  :bradsthumb:
Being perfect every lap is very difficult but it comes with practice

Sounds like a lotta fun !
Would like to do that !

jordan

I went racing again this past weekend in South Haven Michigan at Gingerman Raceway.  Tough track.  Tough competition.  I did pretty crappy bringing up the rear.  Not last place, but next to last both days.  I was 3 seconds off race pace and 50% down on power to my competition.  I have lots of learning to do and lots of equipment upgrades to make.  I was able to drop my lap times each time I went out, so I was able to make progress. 
     I did find out about the competition.  Some guys in the paddock have won the Isle of Mann stages, National Champions, and previous Daytona 200 winners.  I have a LOT of learning to do to hang with those guys.  A couple of guys in my class are national champions and have 15-20 years experience.  Hard to beat that.  Still fun trying to learn. 
     I was able to feel more comfortable with my lean angles.  I worked hard on my body position and was dragging my foot pegs without freaking out too much.  I still need to get a better feel of the race tires since they are so sticky.  It also gives me an excuse to work out because I need the strength to move my self and throw the bike around at speed.  It takes a lot of effort to do that.
    Thanks for listening guys.  I know its not car racing, but there are lots of experiences on this forum and some of you guys should be able to relate. 

Chryco Psycho

Still exhilarating , I am glad you are enjoying the track & adrenalin , probably safer there than on the street too ,
Isle of Mann is no joke , I have watched a lot of the videos , Fun stuff !
The fact that you can stay with them at all is an accomplishment alone   :stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: I've been riding for over 45 years and I would be way, way behind.
Sheldon

jordan

Thanks for the support Guys.  I was pretty mad and disappointed in my performance.  I have always had high expectations of my riding abilities, but I haven't been crushed in a long time like I was last weekend.  It is hard to take a step back and look at it from the outside.  It is my rookie year.  I am starting late in the season.  I only did my first track day one month ago: First time in 11 years, and my first elbow to elbow race in 24 years.  Realistic expectations should have been to not crash, and just be happy I'm on the track and competing anyway.  I was pretty clueless as to whom I was going to compete with.  AHRMA is a national level organization, and attracts high caliber riders.  Im going to keep at it while I still have my health.  Im not dead yet, so Im going to live as large as I can, while I can.  And when I can't or don't want to anymore, I still have my 'Cuda sitting in the garage waiting for me. 

RUNCHARGER

I have a friend in his 70's that almost makes me ashamed to ride. He won the Isle of Man (in his class) back in the 60's, has raced Baja and still rides hard in the desert. The last time he balled it up and broke bones was only a couple of years ago. I only wish I could ride as hard as he can.
Sheldon

jordan

Hi Guys.  Here is an update of my motorcycle roadracing efforts.  The past year and a half, I have been working my tail off on a 2004 Honda RC51 sp2 1000cc v-twin race bike.  I have mostly rebuilt my motorcycle and now it is reliable.  It is tuned, suspended by top notch shocks and forks, and I recently switched to full race Pirelli slicks that I use with tire warmers.  It has some motor go fast goodies, custom exhaust, and electric shift clutch-less shifting.  Makes 123 hp at the tire. 
  I have been racing my regional organization CCS with ok results.  Most guys are racing modern machines with mods.  My 17 yr old  bike is old and heavy compared to most other bikes at the track.  I have been slowly and methodically working up to speed in a informative and safe way.  I have had excellent coaching and seem to have turned a corner to where now I have a solid grip on the basics, I am smooth, and consistent. 
     Last weekend, I raced an national level AHRMA vintage motorcycle event at Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit Il.. @MOPAR MITCH is familiar.  I had an excellent weekend.  My training and practicing paid off.  I won my class both Saturday and Sunday pretty easily.  I rode fast and smooth.  I took the lead within the first lap and never looked back.  I won by more than 20 seconds  turning 1.95 mile lap, times in the 1:16 to 1:17 range.  It is fun when the bikes are replicating the class rules of 2000-2005 and competition is similar.   Felt great after getting beat all the time with my local guys.  It will be a humbling experience next weekend when I finish at mid pack or worse racing modern bikes.  Thanks for checking out my antics.

Mr Lee

That's awesome!  Congrats on the win... that's a hell of a lead.  Great pics too. 
You said it. The key word - SMOOTH.
Is a 2004 RC really a vintage bike now or was that an open class?

A famous cycle racer, I believe it was Kevin Schwantz once stated that motorcycle racing is about 80% rider and 20% bike, vs car racing which is about the opposite.. And I think that statement holds some weight.  A rider is doing so much more with his body.  Weight forward, back, weight on one foot peg or the other, laying the bike over, or keeping the front wheel down, dragging knees and elbows, staying in a high speed tuck over bumpy tracks when your chest is slamming against the tank.  It takes some serious balls and skill to do all that at 100+ and a better rider can easily out-ride a lesser rider on a faster bike. 

I did a track day once on my Triumph Speed Triple.  It handles like a sport bike but is built for torque rather than top end.  I had a CBR 1000 in front of me the whole time.  He was on a faster bike but I couldnt get around him because passing in the corners was not allowed.  Every time we got to the straight where I was allowed to pass, he'd lose me.   Then I was right on his ass again the whole rest of the time.

But things happen fast on a track when you're pushing the limits.  I came into a turn once, downshifted one too many times and let out the clutch and almost lost the back end.  Scared me.  But so much fun.

Enjoy!

A few pics.  because everybody likes pics eh?
Track day in West Virginia and a few years back on the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee (CBR 954).  318 turns in 11 miles of road for those who have never heard of it. 

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

YYZ

Congrats on the win, and I'm envious (but in a good way!) as my track days are over.  The RC51 is a phenomenal platform and it's hard to believe that it now counts as vintage, but time marches on.

If you get a chance to ride or race at Jennings, FL during the winter months, it is a fun, fast track and it is dedicated for motorcycle use only.  So the asphalt is not torn up from cars or go-karts.

Stay safe and keep coming with the wins and pics!