Main Menu

Insurance quote.

Started by Ohiowoodchuck, February 10, 2022, 05:38:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I don't know if you'll get a straight answer.  I had cars insured with State Farm's classic car insurance and never got a definitive answer from them if they were stated or agreed value, and yes I asked.
I did hear a couple stories of classic car owners making claims with State Farm and having to fight with them about their claim.
On the other hand I've heard stories about claims with Hagerty and they were all no problems no questions asked they took care of it.  There was a V code Challenger owner on some of the boards a few years ago who had his car hit by some idiot blowing a red light and they paid to have it fixed at his choice of shops, he chose Mancini. American Muscle car Restorations, which must be one of the highest cost Mopar shops in the US!
Hagerty has been buying up a number of smaller collector car insurance companies and even recently partnered with State Farm to run their classic car insurance program, so they are becoming the 5000 pound gorilla of the industry.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Ohiowoodchuck on February 10, 2022, 06:31:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I called my insurance company who insures my farm, house, cars, trucks etc and they gave me a quote. They returned the quote and it says thru hagerty. I was just wondering what I should expect to pay. Is 30k enough coverage because I just don't think you can replace any of these cars for 30k.

You might also want to try contacting Hagarty directly for a quote.  I have Hagerty and pay less than $250/year for $25K coverage, but maybe that's partially because I've had Hagerty coverage for 10+ years with no claims.  You're right to be concerned about replacement costs though.  I used to think that $25K of coverage was enough for my project/driver, but the way prices are going... :thinking:

torredcuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 10, 2022, 09:27:40 PM
I don't know if you'll get a straight answer.  I had cars insured with State Farm's classic car insurance and never got a definitive answer from them if they were stated or agreed value, and yes I asked.
I did hear a couple stories of classic car owners making claims with State Farm and having to fight with them about their claim.
On the other hand I've heard stories about claims with Hagerty and they were all no problems no questions asked they took care of it.  There was a V code Challenger owner on some of the boards a few years ago who had his car hit by some idiot blowing a red light and they paid to have it fixed at his choice of shops, he chose Mancini. American Muscle car Restorations, which must be one of the highest cost Mopar shops in the US!
Hagerty has been buying up a number of smaller collector car insurance companies and even recently partnered with State Farm to run their classic car insurance program, so they are becoming the 5000 pound gorilla of the industry.

I had Hagerty and had a horrible claims experience, I thought having a reputable collector car insurance company would be better.   :dunno: I have my house and dailys insured thru State Farm but wanted agreed value, I now switched to Grundy for the Barracuda.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

MKA

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 10, 2022, 08:12:41 PM
Quote from: 70vert on February 10, 2022, 07:04:16 PM
I am using Allstate, same as my other cars. They simply asked how much the car was worth. I'm paying about the same, $600/year but for $65k coverage. No max mileage because I drive it all the time.

What do the "collector" car insurance companies do different than other traditional insurers?
The big issue that you need to be concerned with is agreed value vs stated value.
The collector car companies insure at agreed value.  That means if you insure your car for $100,000 and a tornado blows it to the next state, they send you a check for $100,000 (minus deductible) almost immediately after the claim is filed.
If insured with stated value, you file a claim on your car insured for $100,000 and their adjuster comes back and says you know, you insured it for $100,000, but we did some research and determined it's worth $60,000 so that's what we will pay.

That's a great point on stated value.  The insurance companies will always go with the lower of calculations if allowed.  Stated value is the lower of the stated value or actual cash value (per whatever source).  That source could be a reputable valuation tool but that still lags the market and hence gives a lower value. 

Racer57

Prices depend upon where you live, so its next to impossible to get a good comparison asking people here what they are paying.

MKA

Quote from: Racer57 on February 11, 2022, 09:19:24 PM
Prices depend upon where you live, so its next to impossible to get a good comparison asking people here what they are paying.

:iagree:

For my short 9 month stint in North Carolina, where if 2 people arrive at a stop sign simultaneously no one moves to allow the other to go ( it can get awkward), insurance was 300 dollars cheaper annually than Florida where we just assume run you over than say hello.  Same coverage same car.  Daily driver

B5fourspeed

Zip codes is a big part of rates.

70Barracuda

I switched all my insurance from Geico to Farmers, all were close in price and coverage until it came to the car.  Farmers, 45k agreed value, $125 for 6 months with towing.

Only had to send a few pics to get it started.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

usraptor

I second Farmers. I had American Collectors for several years but after a rate increase two years ago I called my Farmer's agent who also has my house, cars, boat, M/C and trailer insurance.  He came back at $153 a year for full coverage on the 'Cuda.  I told him no, he made a mistake that I wanted full coverage and a stated value of $100K.  He said that was correct but I still didn't believe him, and I didn't cancel Americans Collectors until I had the Farmer's policy in writing.  He was correct.  Annual premium was $153 a year, $100K stated value (had to send pics) $250/$500K full coverage, $500 deductible. No mileage limitation even though I drive less than 2K miles a year.  When I originally switched to Famers from AMPAC, my daily driver car and truck, M/C, boat and trailer car insurance rates were similar to my previous carriers.  However I got a substantial discount on the house rates if I insured everything else with them so I switched to Farmers.  Been very happy.  Couple minor claims.  No hassles and no rate increases.  The Cuda rate was the icing on the cake.  Highly recommend Farmers.