Main Menu

Interesting Shaker Article on Hemmings

Started by 7E-Bodies, June 03, 2024, 06:19:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I'm not a shaker expert, so I'm not saying this is totally correct, but it seemed interesting. I thought I'd share for those trying to restore one or study up. Hopefully the link works.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/saving-a-shaker/

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

mccannix

I knew it was coming out,  I just didn't think this soon.
Well written, and informative.
The Fram in Chatham Ontario responsible for the manufacture of the steel components,
and the Fram in Stratford Ontario responsible for manufacture of the various air cleaner elements
has been corrected so as not to cause confusion.
Other than that the bubble restoration process is very informative

Mr Cuda

These articles are timely. I have been waiting to clean and document my bubbles, and remove their 40 y.o. dirt .
 I didn't want to do it sooner as some of the finishes underneath could be removed during cleaning. The parts and flappers were probably just lacquer or low grade enamel. The outside bubble would have been lacquer for sure.
The guide to restoring shows much black on the bottom. Obviously,  my bubbles have no such amounts of overspray. Is the current restoration standard what this article shows?
This is after they have cleaned and primed, then coated the inside white.
 Wouldn't the correct inside finish be the fiberglass gel coat like surface, not paint? I believe they were made from an  early version of SMC.
 Certainly, there has to be a range of "correct", not that I'm going for o.e. gold, or that many will see the inside

larry4406

Quote from: Mr Cuda on June 03, 2024, 08:04:17 PMThese articles are timely. I have been waiting to clean and document my bubbles, and remove their 40 y.o. dirt .
 I didn't want to do it sooner as some of the finishes underneath could be removed during cleaning. The parts and flappers were probably just lacquer or low grade enamel. The outside bubble would have been lacquer for sure.
The guide to restoring shows much black on the bottom. Obviously,  my bubbles have no such amounts of overspray. Is the current restoration standard what this article shows?
 Wouldn't the correct inside finish be the fiberglass gel coat like surface, not paint? I believe they were made from an  early version of SMC.
 Certainly, there has to be a range of "correct", not that I'm going for o.e. gold, or that many will see the inside

Mr. Cuda - what does that one decal say that's on the inside of the bubble.

What is "SMC"?

I need to repair mine.  It was drilled at the sides for Zeus fasteners at 2 locations.

Mr Cuda

SMC (sheet moulded compound) or FRP fiber re-inforced plastic) is common in header panels, and molded body parts by late 70's. They made corvettes from SMC by the 80's.
It is easy to repair with a 2 part mixing cartridge from SEM and others.
The decal is a fresh air warning for cold air/wet weather.

larry4406

Quote from: Mr Cuda on June 04, 2024, 08:26:02 AMSMC (sheet moulded compound) or FRP fiber re-inforced plastic) is common in header panels, and molded body parts by late 70's. They made corvettes from SMC by the 80's.
It is easy to repair with a 2 part mixing cartridge from SEM and others.
The decal is a fresh air warning for cold air/wet weather.

Thank you. Anyone with a clear picture of that label?  Do they reproduce it?  I don't recall seeing the label on mine. I think mine is a 1970; it's argent with 440-6 emblems. I will install it one day on my 71 clone Cuda vert.

Mr Cuda

Classic Industries MD894

lusospeed

Quote from: Mr Cuda on June 03, 2024, 08:04:17 PMThese articles are timely. I have been waiting to clean and document my bubbles, and remove their 40 y.o. dirt .

If you click through the photos in the article you will see that there is specific text for each one. The air doors get media blasted, primered, and then painted a semi-gloss enamel that is in line with the original finish.

On your bubble, depending on what finish was applied, silver, or black there will be overspray. How much overspray is all over the place because it was dependent on when it was painted and in all likelihood who was applying the paint.

The bubbles were made with a RIM process which means that a bunch of materials were injected into a two part mold under pressure then heated. The end result is a very strong composite. The only drawback is that with time it absorbed stains and discolored. There is no way to bleach any of that out 100%, so the white dye is the best and closest to what the original finish looked like. The process used by AMCR is as close as it is going to get with a full restoration.