Main Menu

Intermitent wiper on Ram 2005

Started by Nel, July 17, 2018, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Nel

My intermittent wipers only work when my truck engine is on running. I first replaced the two relays under the hood for the wiper hi/lo and park function and then a few months later, the multi-function switch on the steering column. Both times, after I replaced the parts, I tested the wipers. Both times all the settings worked - off, 5 stages of intermittent, low, and high when the engine is not running but when I start it intermittent stop working. Sometime they will go on and give random multi swipe and stop and start an other serie of wipe.

After driving around and trying to turn on the wipers, only the low and high functions work. Pretty annoying when there's only a light drizzle and I have to keep turning it off and on. I have a whole new appreciation for the intermittent design.

I then change the fuse box under the hood for a use one just before winter and they seem to work good but never use them no rain. Park the truck for winter, take it out in spring the intermittent doesnt work again.

I guess the replacement parts could be bad and I could replace them all again. Anybody have any ideas?
Im thinking a ground problem and would like to put a new ground to the wiper motor but not sure, witch pin on the motor is the ground.

Thanks for your help.

Cuda Cody

Sorry I can't help.  Wish I could...   :sorry:

Dakota

A wiring diagram for the wiper motor circuit on 2002-2005 Ram 1500's is attached below.   This is from a Haynes service manual.

Let me say up front that I haven't work on this part of my 2002 Ram 1500, so one of the other members here may have a better informed opinion.   That said...

If you've already changed out the relays ("wiper on/off" and "wiper hi/lo"), it looks like the "multi function switch" on the steering column is the more likely cause of the issues you describe as that's where the "delay" selection occurs, plus it's a mechanical part that's probably more likely to fail before an electrical one.

Nel

Already change that switch. Thanks for the diagram. So I tap to black/grn and black/yellow directly from the motor to a new ground point, if its a bad gound it would cure the problem?

Dakota

I don't know enough about how the wiper switch interacts with the "front control module" to be able to answer your question.  As I read the diagram, those are the ground wires you've indentified. Best I can say is try it and see what happens. 

06Daytona

I'm having the same sort of problem with my 05 2500. When I start the truck the wipers swipe a few times and then stop mid swipe. When I'm driving the intermittent isn't working at all and they don't park when I shut them off. From everything I've found online it's the switch on the column so maybe the new column switch you have died. I'm going to try changing out my relays when I'm feeling a little better and then change the column switch if the relays don't fix it.

Dakota

If you page down after clicking on the link below, there's some forum activity on this problem and a Technical Service Bulletin that might apply.  Hope you guys get it figured out - that kind of problem drives me nuts. 

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/304576-intermittent-wipers-only-work-intermittently.html

Nel

What make me think its not the muliti switch is that I trie a anthoer and still have the same prob, plus when the engine is off they work perfectly. Its about to drive me nuts to. :pullinghair:

Nel

Iadd a little bit of time tonight and add a look at the wiring at the wiper motor. They are not same color has on the diagram. I have brown/white, brown/grey, brown/red and black/white, witch ones the ground :notsure: