Main Menu

Nervous Business Traveler

Started by Cudajason, March 24, 2017, 08:47:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Thanks guys, well except @HP_Cuda ...dude that is scary!   :foul:  Seriously, all good advice.

I am going solo, the wife has no desire to go to Mexico, besides its a business trip, so we likely would not have any time together anyway.

Sounds like our approved hotel is 5 min walk away from our business campus and we have an approved car service to and from the airport.  My time will likely be limited to the hotel and our campus.

This trip / conference is a great opportunity for me and the first step he next phase of my career, so I am nervous and excited at the same time.

Thanks,

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 25, 2017, 10:15:31 AM

Here is a funny contradiction that is Mexico.

Now when I went to Cancun about 5 years ago it was completely different. They have literally 24/7 police there and they travel around in black uniforms riding in the back of trucks with rifles. There is no tolerance for crap going down there. I remember one night I was eating at an establishment and there was one of their trucks just outside and about 5 guys taking a break. Within 20 mins they got a call and WHAM! they all jumped in the back and tore out to respond.

So they protect their cash cow areas of the country but not others.

Exactly , Columbia is the same Cartagena is safe because of the tourist $$ the rest not so much  .
The reality is there are bad people everywhere even right where you live now even though you feel safe there .
Just stay away from areas where you would attract attention , just look like you belong , don't attract attention Money jewellery etc don't buy expensive or unique items  .
Mirrors are everywhere , Use them , you do not have to look around more than you normally would but every window reflects, stay alert. Be friendly , slaughter the language , you will get them laughing & at  least but they will be more inclined to help if you need it.
I have lived in Panama for 6 years now without incident , Violent crime is very rare here , mostly property if anything , if you have respect for the people they have more respect for you I never insult the locals here & try to help them , I keep my eyes open all the time watching all around me keeping tourists I have with me safe & I stay out of local bars etc, I am out at night a lot as well nights are awesome here but I only stop at known places .Have a few drinks but don't get hammered unless yo re with people you trust implicitly .
Just stay smart , you will e fine .

ScottSmith_Harms

I went to Mexico City twice, had a girlfriend there. She stilled lived at home so I stayed in a hotel (same one both times) that they recommended (very nice downtown location). They were a very nice family and had were quite wealthy, they gave me some very good tips on staying safe when I wasn't with them. The most important was to not go out alone at night no matter how safe it appeared as my skin color made me an obvious target. The other was to carry two wallets, one well hidden and one more obvious with expired credit cards and out of date I.D. etc. and some small amount of flash cash ($20.00 in $1's and 5's, etc.) and to wear a few pieces of cheap costume jewelry. What for? To give the robbers if you get mugged! The reason being that if they get nothing they are more prone to beat you or stab you if they don't get anything! I never had a problem but I saw things that made me not want to take too many chances, I did not feel safe there in the least and I'm no coward, but when you are outnumbered in a foreign land it changes things. Loved the city though, there are some really cool things to see there but I had locals as guides so it was a blast.  .02

Chryco Psycho

Panama is Nothing like Mexico
the economy here & middle class are booming there is no destitute poverty , people are well off or at least comfortable , very modern & comfortable  .
I agree with 2 wallets ,important stuff keep hidden have some flash cash you can loose

YYZ

Assuming that you're still with the same employer, I can't see them putting you in harm's way (or at least not unreasonably so).  The conference will likely take place in either the Chapultepec or Polanco districts of Mexico City which are $$$ and relatively more safe.

It would not hurt to ask about some of the logistics ahead of time, and I'd suspect that your co. has arranged for a driver to pick you up from the airport etc.

That said, much of the advice already given is excellent:  do not take taxis, have a 2nd wallet, don't be too flashy etc. etc. etc.   

You may want to ping Ludington1 as he travels to Latin America quite regularly and can give you much more up to date info and recommendations.

(FWIW - the Canadian embassy in Mexico City may still run an open house on Thursday evenings for any Canadian visitors.  Free beer etc!)

Cudajason

Thanks guys...more good advise, I like the second wallet idea.

@YYZ - Vlad great to hear from you.  I hope all is well! 

Yep still with the same company and I agree, can't imagine they would send us into an unsafe situation.

Looks like the hotel is in Cuauhtémoc area and our office is near by, so I am sure everything will be cool, just need to convince the wife of that!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Oldschool

I try and use all the advice given here whenever I have to go to downtown ATL - especially the southside.  Bunch of criminals with drug habits and no fear. Add to that I don't speak their language either. 2017 druggie criminals have developed their own language.....

61K T/A

Contact the State Department for Travel to Mexico Warnings. They can give you up to date info about travel to Mexico City.

cordodge

We own a place in Puerto Vallarta and have been going all over Mexico for the last 15 years for months at a time, travel be car to various places and never had an issue once. Obviously it's like anywhere there are ways to get yourself in trouble but honestly we are out late, shop and eat where the local do and they are happy to see you as most people stay in the tourist areas so they don't get the business.

Enjoy yourself,

Bruce

Cudajason

Well guys, thanks for all the advice...I made it our alive!!!

Very interesting city.  I took a few hours during the afternoon to walk around the main street and saw some of the monuments etc.  The weather was amazing.

I will admit that we did have one interesting moment.  Me a two colleagues were headed out for a late dinner and walking along the main street.  One colleague pulled out his phone to see how much further we had to go.  We were at a cross walk, and as he was standing there, a guy walks by him and was really eyeing his phone, just a weird look.  My colleague and I exchanged glances and he put his phone away.

Not sure I would ever go for vacation, but may go back for business.

The highlight was easily that guided tour of our offices in Mexico city, including a tour of the helipad.  58 floors up (which is admittedly not that high), with no walls or windows provides some pretty cool views. 

Jason

cuda hunter

congrats for not getting robbed!! 
Sounds like you were pretty close to a grab and go!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cudajason

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 07, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
congrats for not getting robbed!! 
Sounds like you were pretty close to a grab and go!

Yeah thanks...pretty happy about that!

Funny part was that my colegue, who I work with often looks at me and says, no worries its not even my phone, its his (the other guy we were with).  Took me a second to clue in, the other guy is a partner at our firm, and it was a work phone!   :rofl: :rofl:

Jason

RUNCHARGER

Mexico city is a great place. We go to Mexico almost every year and generally land in a center that we can fly to direct and then take buses and travel to various towns. We don't do stupid stuff and I feel pretty safe there. Generally it's a good idea to stick to tourist type places to be safest. I've walked down some pretty sketchy streets though, so you need to have your wits about you at all times. I think I've felt more vulnerable in areas of Portland and L.A. than anywhere in Mexico though.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Glad you had a good trip  :bradsthumb:
Bad people are everywhere unfortunatly