Main Menu

Kill .. er story

Started by Chryco Psycho, June 19, 2018, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Well
The result was dead even  :rubeyes:
Neither could out pull the other , , not enough room to go to 175 MPH both both can pull top end speed with the OD in the Coronet
Dead heat !!

Chryco Psycho

NO comments Huh ,  weird , I thought more would be interested in the result  :thinking:
I found it very interesting that building a decent big block stroker with relatively mild parts you can have a similar power to weight ratio as a new 707 HP Hellcat !!

RUNCHARGER

The Coronet did better than I expected. I imagine the Kitty would haul it in at the top end. I know with my Viper and the 345s on the back I still have to be ready to pedal it up to about 60MPH or so. I've had her come loose while in second gear when it hits 5k or so more than once, no clutch involved.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: Traction is an issue with both cars understandably as both are putting down similar Tq
I knew the Coronet was fast but still did not expect the Coronet to stay with the Cat  :rubeyes:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Pretty dang good I'd say. My 66 ran hard too, they are fairly light with a decent rear overhang which helps, can't get much tire on them though unless you're really careful with wheel selection.
Sheldon

nsmall

I hope to drive either car with that much power one day.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  I wouldnt mine driving a Viper either. 

71-440

Pretty interesting. I figured it wouldn't be a total blow out but dead even? WOW.
I think I'd be more comfortable hitting 175mph in the Cat though then the Coronet.

Joe

Katfish

Does it add up?

67 R/T weighing in at 3700 lbs + driver
17 Hellcat weighing in at 4500 + driver & passenger

So 67 has 3700/400 = 9.25 lbs/hp
Hellcat: 4500/560 = 8 lbs/hp  (assumes 20% driveline loss: 700x0.8=560) which i think is conservative

That's a huge difference, I'm thinking the Hellcat owner didn't really get on it........................

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Katfish on June 22, 2018, 07:50:17 PM
Does it add up?

67 R/T weighing in at 3700 lbs + driver
17 Hellcat weighing in at 4500 + driver & passenger

So 67 has 3700/400 = 9.25 lbs/hp
Hellcat: 4500/560 = 8 lbs/hp  (assumes 20% driveline loss: 700x0.8=560) which i think is conservative

That's a huge difference, I'm thinking the Hellcat owner didn't really get on it........................

Stock Hellcat will put down 620-640whp...just over 7lb/hp. Something sounds fishy, that Kitty should have run all over that Coronet..
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudakiller70

OK I see what's going on, this is just like when I play table hockey and foosball with the kids........ I keep the score really close, but just let them win barley. Nice going Dad :twothumbsup:

Chryco Psycho

good thought , not the reality tho  :stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yes the gloves are off, You may win by only half a car but you drive to win...
Sheldon

jordan

I think there are more factors going on than just a math equation.  By thinking in just horsepower:weight ratios, the car with better numbers should always win.  But is that what happens in real life every time?  I don't think so.  I can see how it is possible for the coronet to hang with the hellcat.  At least some of the times and until aerodynamics come into play. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

RUNCHARGER

Traction is a big deal, convertor etc.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

As the old saying goes Figures lie & lies figure
Peak #s are not the whole story a flat tq curve from 2300 - 5300 with good gearing allow the engine to pull very hard for a long time is hard to beat , a higher but peaked powerband would not win over a 3000 rpm pull but having 8 speeds should overcome that as it has a shorter shift window keeping the engine in the peak range more , an underdog can be surprizing at times .
It would be interesting to put the Hellcat on the same dyno & see what the real RWHP & TQ #s are on the ground , probably a lot more similar #s