Main Menu

Let's hear how you wrecked a car

Started by blown motor, March 29, 2017, 04:36:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

74-75 time frame, driving a beater 63 VW that I gave $75 for.... It's Friday night, been out on the cruise, got a couple buddies riding with me......  Car hadn't been running good & figured out it wasn't charging...... Anyway, met a few girls we knew & they know where theres a party... Following them but they are going faster than my VW wants to go.... Bright idea, I switched my lights off.... Suddenly the car will go much faster & I catch up, switch the lights back on & fall back, car won't keep up.... Lights off catch up... Repeat a few times, we're out in the country lights off & I had the thing wound up.... Suddenly a guy pulls out right in front of me cause he didn't see me...... I cranked the wheels to miss him & I did miss him.... Unfortunately the back end came around & it rolled over on it's roof & slid about 50 feet, luckily no one was hurt...  The girls came back & picked us up, we pushed the car off the road & into an orchard.... We all had a pretty good laugh.. The girls couldn't figure out why I was turning the lights out, they knew they were going faster then I could go, but the lights would go out & when they popped back on I'd be right behind them... :rofl:  Would up selling the VW to a kid that loved VW's for $75 & a dirt bike.... Only car I ever made money on.... :rofl:

usraptor

Quote from: YellowThumper on November 21, 2017, 04:13:22 PM
Early 80s in a 72 Pinto.
Driving down a normal 4 lane road at roughly the speed limit. 45ish. Housing tracts on both sides with only a single entrance/exit street for them. Out of no where a young girl who just got her license blows past stop sign on left side and takes out my drivers front clip badly.
Young and broke myself I got ensurance money. Bought this total from insurance. Bought another Pinto. A 71 shell and installed drivetrain and interior.

Time laps forward 1.5 years...
Pinto #2
I was driving down the same road roughly 1/2 mile from previous accident. Same, going about the speed limit. Driving thru a green light.
Car on right side cross street ran their light. Caught my rear passenger quarter. Kicked me sidways. Slid over center curb divider into the oncoming traffic lanes. Luckily no cars. When bouncing and sliding stopped I was still facing the side of road it all started on. So naturally my momentum carried me back over the divider. This trip also took out a small tree that was just planted and finished the car off for good.

After this one I went big and bought my Challenger.

Mike

Mike, I hope you stopped driving on that section of street after that.   :D

Chryco Psycho

I stripped all of the good parts from a 75 Duster that was rusty & we demolished the body with a track hoe !!

Jim AAR

We used to buy Winter Beaters for a couple hundred dollars and at the end of the winter, put some helmets on and have a Demolition Derby :veryexcited: in the field behind my buddies house. Now that was fun..... :veryexcited:

YellowThumper

LOL, not entirely because it is a main street but did avoid as much as possible.

How about this...
Not me but some friends.
67, RS/SS convertible Camaro. PCH (main west coast ocean highway) 100+ mph lose control and launch it into wildlife reserve lake next to road. Car hydroplaned for a ways before sinking into 10 feet of salt water. Their first reaction when car stopped was oh sh... let's get out of here. Reach for ignition and then water rushes in. Time to swim...
Was recovered and rebuilt.

Quote from: usraptor on November 21, 2017, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: YellowThumper on November 21, 2017, 04:13:22 PM
Early 80s in a 72 Pinto.
Driving down a normal 4 lane road at roughly the speed limit. 45ish. Housing tracts on both sides with only a single entrance/exit street for them. Out of no where a young girl who just got her license blows past stop sign on left side and takes out my drivers front clip badly.
Young and broke myself I got ensurance money. Bought this total from insurance. Bought another Pinto. A 71 shell and installed drivetrain and interior.

Time laps forward 1.5 years...
Pinto #2
I was driving down the same road roughly 1/2 mile from previous accident. Same, going about the speed limit. Driving thru a green light.
Car on right side cross street ran their light. Caught my rear passenger quarter. Kicked me sidways. Slid over center curb divider into the oncoming traffic lanes. Luckily no cars. When bouncing and sliding stopped I was still facing the side of road it all started on. So naturally my momentum carried me back over the divider. This trip also took out a small tree that was just planted and finished the car off for good.

After this one I went big and bought my Challenger.

Mike

Mike, I hope you stopped driving on that section of street after that.   :D
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

I didn't " wreck" it in the way this post portrays but.....
I bought a rotten rusty 1973 SD Pontiac Trans Am  black with the fire chicken on the hood , shaker hood, in the late 80's for $400, I pulled the T-10 4 speed  out and sold it for $800 then junked the rest. Back then it was just another rotten pizza delivery vehicle to me , I had no idea how rare they were back then. I remember thinking who would want that 455 boat anchor , they don't rev..... :bricks:

Chryco Psycho

chargerdon

In Dec 1969 I had graduated from college, and had a draft number too high to get drafted !!   Yea!!! To celebrate i bought my first NEW car !  A 1970 Challenger, slant six, manual 3 sp on the floor in dark green, PS, AM radio and wheel covers.   I Loved that car !! :smile:

Come spring 1970 i'm driving home from work, and approaching a traffic light intersection at about 30 MPH,  light is red and i'm coasting to a stop in 2nd gear.   The light turns green, and i jump on it...just as i'm about to enter the intersection an idiot in the right hand only turn lane, decides to turn left right in front of me !!    No where to go i jammed on the brakes and T-boned the idiot while still doing about 15-20 mph !!   Damaged the grille, bumper, hood and right front fender, and the car i hit was a brand new 70 New Yorker station wagon that still had temporary plate on it.   :angry: The driver  was a 17 year old kid who had passed his drivers test that morning.   

Kid caught out of the car crying that his daddy was going to kill him...i told him NO HE ISN'T I'm going to kill you !!   :angry:

Oh well...got the car fixed and kept it till i traded it in on my 72 Charger SE with air !!   

ToxicWolf

I custom ordered a 73 Challenger.  Loaned it to my girlfriend two months later and she totalled it!  I had ordered it with sure-grip rear end and the street was wet.  :verymad:

YellowThumper

Quote from: ToxicWolf on March 29, 2019, 08:47:41 AM
I custom ordered a 73 Challenger.  Loaned it to my girlfriend two months later and she totalled it!  I had ordered it with sure-grip rear end and the street was wet.  :verymad:
:unbelievable: :inlove:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7212Mopar

In 1986, my 84 Cutlass Ciera was parked on the street in front of work. A drunk driving a van pushed a dumpster to the back and impaled the side of my car to the light pole. I could not recognize the car when I got outside and probably looking at it in disbelief for a minute. The person driving the van managed to get away with his engine smoking badly. The 80s Cutlass was a terrible car but it was essentially a brand new car. It took insurance 6 months to settle my claim and had to do without transportation all that time.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

blown motor

@ToxicWolf Did you marry her anyways?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I was bombing through 4" tall grass in a field when I hit a LARGE rock....pushed the K frame through the oil pan and destroyed my 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon :crying:  Ahhh... to be young and dumb again !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

Quote from: blown motor on March 29, 2019, 01:05:53 PM

@ToxicWolf Did you marry her anyways?

Sadly, yes.  :bricks:. But, that didn't last long.  :banana:

philze

Never ever put a 8 track in the glove box!!!!!