Main Menu

Look What I Found

Started by 71vert340, October 27, 2019, 09:56:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I mentioned in another topic post That what was preventing me from working on my E-body was because I was working on my B-body yesterday. This is on my 1974 360 Rallye Charger.  I decided to pull the rear wheels off and clean up the drum brakes and rear axle housing. As I was removing 45 years of grime, I started finding paint marks etc. I was going to just clean up the drums, the axle housing and paint the axle housing. Now, what do I do? If I paint it black, the original markings are lost. This is not a restoration, but a cleanup to make it a nice cruiser.  Any suggestions? I cleaned up the front disc brakes and it's a well preserved car under the grime. I'll include a photo of the brake backing plate. I just need to decide what lengths to go to. I'll be posting this on FBBO later. Thanks
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Nice, car must be in great shape. You don't want to lose that forever IMO.
Sheldon

71vert340

More cleaning done this morning and looked what popped out on the rear diff. Now, when I do this to the convertible, I hope I find some markings.
Terry

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

jimynick

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 28, 2019, 07:55:30 PM
Great markings.
Were you referring to the condition of the lettering, Josh or the choice of letters on the diff?  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

7E-Bodies

:iagree: lol. There's so many ways this could head south!  :rofl: But, amazing markings. I've found them on way worse cars. They had some great paint back then.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

cuda hunter

Quote from: jimynick on October 29, 2019, 07:12:02 PM
Quote from: cuda hunter on October 28, 2019, 07:55:30 PM
Great markings.
Were you referring to the condition of the lettering, Josh or the choice of letters on the diff?  :D

Just that you actually have some markings and they are still readable.  I've only had a very few markings on any of the many cars I've had. 

I was thinking about how to preserve those markings.  Do you just pour a little oil over them and let them grime up again for another 50 years.  Seemed to really work well on the markings so far. 

yes, please add to the doodles thread. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71vert340

I will post to the doodles thread. Continued cleaning the 3rd member today and found more paint marks and numbers. Amazing what I'm finding. I'm looking forward to doing the same cleaning on both 71 Challengers. Here's a few more paint marks and numbers I found after cleaning. The 3 on the bottom consists of 2 light blue and one white paint daubs. The number on top is 31 with a white top line drawn in the middle like a skunk stripe. Then there's the large yellow paint blob across top by the snubber. And the white block numbers "910" ( or 016) and "2" on the passengers side look great. There's also a white "8" by the fill plug but partially covered by a sealant. Enjoy.
Terry