Main Menu

Man dies pinned under vehicle

Started by IRON MAN, July 12, 2019, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

A man was found dead after gone missing for six days. He was pinned under a SUV while working on it near the border of Nev-Ca. The death was likely the result of the SUV falling off the jacks on July 4th during the earthquake that struck near Ridgecrest, Ca. Officials still investigating.  :Thud:

GoodysGotaCuda

Wow that's an awful way to go.

Rule number one of off-roading in the Desert is to never go alone. May not have saved him, but just might have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Mopar5

Don't like seeing that cinder block in the photo. Never want to use one of those for support. :stop:

CudaMoparRay

I'm sure many of us have thought about such a scenario when we're working underneath our cars

BFM_Cuda

Sad, gotta be careful working under anything. I have a coworker who's brother died while under a vehicle. He removed the driveshaft and the vehicle moved and fell on him.

71-440

Well for his sake I hope he went quick and didn't suffer.  :andyangel:
Very sad.

When I have my car up on the race ramps I block the frame rails also. I don't like being under a car on jacks or ramps.
Joe

jimynick

Sad in every aspect. I had a mentor and friend who wouldn't even look under a car unless it was on stands and his wife came home to find him under their Volvo as a jack apparently slipped. It can happen just that fast. I really feel for his family, too.  :(
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RzeroB

Made me think of my friend Bob Pedersen. Bob had an old Dodge van and he was trying to find the source of an oil leak. With the engine running, he crawled under the van with a flashlight and a rag to find the leak. While poking around he somehow inadvertently bumped the shift lever rod putting the van into gear (it was a late '70's van and I don't think it had the brake - shift lever interlock like they do today). The van ran over Bob's abdomen, then slowly trundled along before coming to a rest against the side of his neighbor's house. With a surge of adrenaline, Bob got up and made it to the van to shut off the engine and make sure his neighbor's kids, who where playing in the front yard, were okay, and they were. He then collapsed and died a few hours later from massive internal injuries. The tragic irony of it all was that Bob was the manager of the auto hobby shop on the nearby military base where he preached safety first all the time.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

shadango

Similar thing happened to a neighbor working on his truck...fell off the stands.

I caution my sons to ALWAYS be sure that someone is around when they are under a car (and cutting grass as well).

It only takes a second for you to forget something critical and disaster to hit.

I hate working under a car on stands too....one of several reason I have been wanting a lift for a long time ............the other is I am getting old and laying on the ground for hours and the up and down sucks....

IRON MAN

Doing it solo. Took all necessary precautions not to get pinned under the car. Last week installed the 390 engine and tranny in my 68 AMX by raising them into place. Also, in the process of a complete front and rear suspension rebuild. The grill and bumper are off the car for restoration. So made a cross bar with tabs for a lifting chain that bolts to the frame where the bumper was bolted to. When under the car I attached the cherry picker to the cross bar chain. Also using 6-ton four-legged jack stands.  Peace of mind, when you don't have a car lift. 

PatO

I have at least 4  heavy duty jack stands under the car when I'm under it, plus a pair of rims/tires at each end. A few times I had 6 jack stands in there.

My dad was crushed by a car he was working on. Loosened up a u-joint on a drive shaft and the car rolled slightly and came down. Only 3 ribs not broken.  I held his hand as he died . . . .  Never forgotten that moment in my younger life.

My wife watches me like a hawk when I'm in the garage. She checks the stands also and makes sure I'm not taking chances.   

Even it if it is just a "quick look"  you need to be careful. Gravity will win every time.    :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Brads70

Quote from: PatO on July 19, 2019, 01:07:04 PM
I have at least 4  heavy duty jack stands under the car when I'm under it, plus a pair of rims/tires at each end. A few times I had 6 jack stands in there.

My dad was crushed by a car he was working on. Loosened up a u-joint on a drive shaft and the car rolled slightly and came down. Only 3 ribs not broken.  I held his hand as he died . . . .  Never forgotten that moment in my younger life.

My wife watches me like a hawk when I'm in the garage. She checks the stands also and makes sure I'm not taking chances.   

Even it if it is just a "quick look"  you need to be careful. Gravity will win every time.    :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

That's awful! Sorry you had to endure that!  :o

1 Wild R/T

PatO Very Sorry to hear about your dad, thats a tough one....

Back about 68 or 69 my dad was working under his Chrysler (it was on wooden ramps) & unbolted the driveshaft, realized what he'd done immediately & rolled out just before the car rolled down the ramps... I was there, about 9-10 years old at the time, scared the crap outta me but luckily thats the worst of what we got... What we really got was a clear message "Be Aware"...

Chryco Psycho

Sorry to hear That Pat
It only takes a minor oversight

71-440

So sorry to hear that Pat. I can't imagine what that was like.
Joe