Main Menu

Maria: My best Woman in my Life passed away

Started by Topcat, May 24, 2021, 10:56:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I want to Thank everyone for your kind thoughts and responding.

Maria once told me a story that a Russian Soldier held a Rifle to her head in a Food line in Budapest, Hungary when she was less than 7 years old.

Maria escaped the Iron Curtain taking a train into Austria with her young Daughter without a Passport. The conductor sensed the situation and looked the other way and let them thru into Austria. She ended up in Vienna with some Friends for a while. She stayed there for a while.

Then she was transported to Venice for a few weeks. From that point; she was instructed on contacting a friend in New Jersey that she flew to. She began working at a Nut and bolt factory churning out hardware.

This is when she began learning English self teaching herself watching Sesame Street. She refused mingling with the Hungarian community there.

She was determined to be an English speaking American only. Eventually she met her first Husband who worked for  Ford and Married and became a Citizen in the 70's and moved to Minnesota then later to California.

He died of an Anurism years later and I met her 10 years after that.

Maria had issues with Depression and Drinking.
We all tried to comfort her and slow her but in the end; she refused and wanted to be free.

All of our family loved her because of what a strong person she was a great Heart she had.
She will be talked about at her memorial soon.

Cuda_mark

Amazing story of a woman that had a lot of hardship in her life but we are all glad that you were able to be with her for the time that you were.

RusTy/SE

I'm glad you and Maria had time together with each other Mike. My thoughts are with you and your families.

Rusty
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

oldmoparbuff

My Sympathy and prayers for you and your family.
I will look forward to hearing her story someday.
I cannot imagine what it took to get out from behind that iron curtain.
Many died trying.