Main Menu

Mecum Auction Chicago

Started by JH27N0B, October 27, 2018, 08:22:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I went to the Mecum Chicago auction the other day.  There were a few E bodies there. The one I was most interested in seeing was a white T/A.  It's been on ebay a number of times priced high and described as one of the best.  I think it's been discussed here.  Anyway, it was a nice looking car, but had many flaws, far from one of the best. It bid to $72K "bid goes on" and that was probably a generous offer if that is was a real money bid!
There was a 71 cuda 340 4 speed that was real nice. 
There were 2 '71 Challenger convertibles at the auction.  One was a curious yellow resto mod, that was sold at the auction last year.  The owner had a bunch of updates done on it like Alterkation suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and a new stroker engine.  I heard through the grapevine they hadn't got the bugs worked out with the engine.  Interestingly, I tried to open the hood but couldn't get the latch to open! It didn't sell.
The other one was a red G code.  It was well optioned including AC, and I really liked it.  It sold for $37K plus change, which was probably well bought as it looked like a great car.
There was a yellow hemi Superbird there that sold today.  An automatic car.  The hood was closed, but I did notice the studs for the windshield wipers along with the gaskets were painted yellow, which had me questioning the quality of the restoration of a rare car.
Here are my pictures-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157699660502942

6bblgt

:wowzers:
that '67 Shelby GT500 sitting on the pedestals is the one & only Mustang fitted with a 427 = "Super Snake"
:takemymoney:

anlauto

What did the butterscotch 71 sell for ? @kdcarman ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on October 27, 2018, 09:48:37 PM
What did the butterscotch 71 sell for ? @kdcarman ?

$62,700.00 including the buyers fees.  I noticed Mecum now publishes the sell prices including the buyers fee.

There was a white Challenger T/A that bid up to $72.5 - no sale.
Hemi Auto Yellow Superbird sold for $260k without buyers fees.

anlauto

Did anybody check out the fender tag or info on the car to see what options were original ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: And WHAT colour was it painted?
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on October 28, 2018, 06:04:59 AM
Did anybody check out the fender tag or info on the car to see what options were original ?
The '71 'cuda?  It's a 2 tag car and there is a picture of the tags in my Flickr album of the auction I posted the link to in my first post.

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 28, 2018, 07:40:47 AM
The '71 'cuda?  It's a 2 tag car and there is a picture of the tags in my Flickr album of the auction I posted the link to in my first post.

Sorry never saw that link.....nicely optioned car, however the shaker and bumpers were added....never understand why people just don't leave well enough alone... :looney:

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on October 28, 2018, 07:55:34 AM

Sorry never saw that link.....nicely optioned car, however the shaker and bumpers were added....never understand why people just don't leave well enough alone... :looney:

I meant to look at the trim tag - wondered how original the car was.
Bumpers and shaker added .  :(
I assume original 4 speed car?
What about the billboards?  Factory or added?
62k IMO is strong money considering the shaker and bumper were added.

superdave

I didn't see much of that but what little I did it seemed like some of the no reserve cars were going for ridiculously low prices. Less than $10k, a good paint job would cost more than that. :headbang:

anlauto

Quote from: kdcarman on October 28, 2018, 08:10:07 AM

YES....Billboard,4 Speed car, road lamps and spoilers..... nice car, no need for bumpers and the shaker...maybe it's your old car ?

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on October 28, 2018, 09:50:20 AM
Quote from: kdcarman on October 28, 2018, 08:10:07 AM

My old car was an auto

YES....Billboard,4 Speed car, road lamps and spoilers..... nice car, no need for bumpers and the shaker...maybe it's your old car ?