Main Menu

Mecum Auction Indianapolis

Started by JH27N0B, May 20, 2017, 05:44:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I drove down there yesterday to check it out.  Tons of cars, they claimed 2000 and I don't doubt there were that many.  Lots of cool E bodies, seemed to be a lot of AARs.
Here are my pictures
https://www.flickr.com/photos/111914442@N04/albums/72157683964490776/page1

usraptor

Very cool!  I'm jealous. I've always wanted to attend one of those just to see the cars.  Some day!

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing all the photos.  E-bodies were well represented.  Did you see how the prices were on the ones that sold?  Love that purple TA  :inlove:

JH27N0B

Up to about 10 years ago, the spring auction was near me in Belvidere IL, but then the moved it to Indy.
I attended that one a couple times, and I also go to the early fall Mecum here in the Chicago area.  The one near me in Chicago used to be pretty good but has gotten mediocre.  They claim there are 1000 cars at Chicago, but counting the listings a few days before the auction, I only saw about 500. 
Indy and Kissimmee seem to be the 2 Mecum auctions that have a lot of great cars up for bidding now, and with Indy about 200 miles away from me, I kept telling myself I'd get down there.  Finally did this week and glad I did!
I wish they'd kept the spring auction near here in Belvidere, where it was held at a county fairgrounds.  I think they outgrew that place though.  The state fairgrounds in Indianapolis where it is now is huge!

JH27N0B

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 20, 2017, 05:56:08 PM
Thanks for sharing all the photos.  E-bodies were well represented.  Did you see how the prices were on the ones that sold?  Love that purple TA  :inlove:
If you register on the Mecum website, you can see the results (and end up on their mailing list)
Interestingly on the AARs and T/As, the T/A bid up to 76K reserve not met, one AAR sold for 75K and another sold for 76K....all almost identical high bids.
The yellow hemi cuda was unrestored, formerly owned by Richard Heidbreider, and sold for $295K.  The burnt orange hemi Challenger sold to Herb McCandles son for $145K.
The blue U code 4 speed Challenger R/T sold for $110K, which seems high, nice car, but WTH.
The U code cuda convertible sold for 120K.  I'll pay 10K more for for a drop top any day!
Despite being an E body guy, the car I wanted was the '69 Coronet R/T vert.  It sold for $67.5K which is way over my budget plus I don't have room for the cars I have.  It looked real nice but I thought the FT looked like a repro.
Problem with auctions is often the owner isn't around and you can't ask questions or find out history.  On that Coronet, maybe he had the original tag, but how to know?  It's hard to spend big bucks when taking a chance!

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the update.   :twothumbsup:   Prices seem pretty solid and good cars look to still bring good money.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 20, 2017, 06:16:06 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 20, 2017, 05:56:08 PM

Despite being an E body guy, the car I wanted was the '69 Coronet R/T vert.  It sold for $67.5K which is way over my budget plus I don't have room for the cars I have.  It looked real nice but I thought the FT looked like a repro.
Problem with auctions is often the owner isn't around and you can't ask questions or find out history.  On that Coronet, maybe he had the original tag, but how to know?  It's hard to spend big bucks when taking a chance!

Nice vert... I'd prefer a rally cluster...  Odd that it has quarter scoops but a bulge hood.... Most with quarter scoops got the hood scoops too...

JH27N0B

I thought the twin scoop hood on Coronet R/Ts came with the N96 option?  Which this car doesn't have.
I'm not a B body expert, yet, so I could be wrong.
What bothered me most looking at the car, was the fender tag.  Once again, I'm not one of the experts who can spot a fake tag a mile away, but this car's tag looked too crisp to me, and was painted a slightly different shade of green.
The original tag may still be in existence, and the owner has it in safe keeping to go with the car, but how would a potential buyer know?  That is the concern with these auctions, it is tough to vet the cars.
I wasn't registered to bid so no issues for me, other than I want to own one of these some day and want to know them well and what market value is.

6bblgt

IMO - restamped block but original transmission  :alan2cents:
3 VINs after it is a Mr. Norm's 383 Super Bee

1969 Coronet R/T convertible = 426 US Spec.:
M46 = 28.9% ~ 123 WS27s
N96 = 35.9% ~ 153 WS27s
A62 = 50.0%  ~ 213 WS27s
H51 = 17.1% ~73 WS27s
P31 = 16.7% ~71 WS27s

today, everyone likes to see ALL the "eye candy" installed on one car but that was rarely the case "in the day"

of 7 M46 WS27L9Gs I know of:
4 have A62
2 have N96
1 has A/C & power windows

nsmall

Thanks​ for sharing the photos.  I liked that burnt orange challenger less the wheels.