Main Menu

Mecum Results

Started by anlauto, January 09, 2020, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

I'd buy a fleet of nice mopars before I'd spend that much on a beat up mustang. It's a great car but really???? Definitely not an investment. I guess if you can afford that there's a lot much more in the bank!

RUNCHARGER

Yup, everyone spends their money differently. I am more into what a car is than who owned it. For my money I would have bought a real 427 AC Cobra then built a clone Bullitt, Clone 68 Charger and used the rest to buy a house.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

:iagree: albeit not on the ford products. I was a diehard ford truck fan but they burnt me too many times an all 4 trucks.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

IRON MAN

Imagine what the original "Vanishing Point" Challengers would bring at auction......but they were all sold for scrap.

benlavigne

The ''King of Cool'' Steve McQueen connection is what brings the price up, three years ago, the Porsche 917 used in the movie Le Mans sold for 17 millions, highest ever for a Porsche, and his character's racing suit, 1 million!
The Bullitt Mustang will always have a good value, with a vast pool of buyers interested in rare Mustangs, Movie stuff, or Steve McQueen stuff...

Ben

Cuda70-74

Im a Ford and Mopar guy since they share some stuff. 67/68 mustang price will probably shoot up even more now
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

7212Mopar

I saw the car in person at the 2018 SF Auto Show. One expensive piece of history.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

I so love Tony's Daytona. Condition, colour combo, everything....  Just WOW!  :Thud: Total unobtainium for me but nice to see/dream!  :drooling: :bradsthumb:

If I had the resources it would go great with the "Strawberry Shortcake Challenger"  :veryexcited:

scf100

Quote from: IRON MAN on January 10, 2020, 06:11:36 PM
Imagine what the original "Vanishing Point" Challengers would bring at auction......but they were all sold for scrap.

BTW where is the original Vanishing Point car?
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

JH27N0B

There have been articles about the Vanishing Point Challengers.  My recollection is that there were 4 or 5 of them. They were provided by Chrysler, and returned to them after the movie was filmed. No documentation of their VINs has ever been found, so if any of them survived is not known.
If there was a second Charger used in the Bullitt filming that survived, I wonder what it would bring now.

JS29

If they would have saved any original vanishing point cars they would bring at least as much as bullet,  Maybe more.    :alan2cents:

Katfish

Quote from: benlavigne on January 10, 2020, 06:24:41 PM
The Bullitt Mustang will always have a good value, with a vast pool of buyers interested in rare Mustangs, Movie stuff, or Steve McQueen stuff...

Ben

Don't think this will hold true, contemporaries of this era are dying off.
So the nostalgia and prices will fade away.
Neither of my 20 yr old kids have any idea who Steve McQueen is/was.

JH27N0B

We can only speculate, but I doubt an original Vanishing Point Challenger would sell for 3+ million.  Part of the Bullitt mustang's appeal was based on it's tie in with Steve McQueen.  Barry Newman is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't hold a candle to Steve McQueen.
Even if there was a second Bullitt Charger that survived, I don't think it would bring near as much as the Mustang.  Probably well under a million. :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 11, 2020, 07:15:20 AM
We can only speculate, but I doubt an original Vanishing Point Challenger would sell for 3+ million.  Part of the Bullitt mustang's appeal was based on it's tie in with Steve McQueen.  Barry Newman is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't hold a candle to Steve McQueen.
Even if there was a second Bullitt Charger that survived, I don't think it would bring near as much as the Mustang.  Probably well under a million. :alan2cents:

:iagree: 1000% :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

That red on red challenger went for  a great price!  I'd a bought that if I was there.   There must be twice that much money into bringing that car to the state it is in.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee