Main Menu

Minor disaster in my garage

Started by JH27N0B, July 06, 2021, 02:09:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

One day last week I opened up my garage to drive my '09 Challenger to work.  Looking in something didn't look right, and I quickly realized that a cabinet and shelf on my back wall were missing!
I went to the front of the car and found the cabinet, shelf and die cast cars strewn about and the cabinet leaning against the front bumper of the car!
Fortunately the damage to the car was fairly light, some slight scratches and scuffs that mostly quickly polished out.  Some of the diecast cars were damaged, but all were displayed in their original boxes and the boxes protected them surprisingly well.
It was a Rubbermaid cabinet that I bought when I built the garage in 2008.  It's particleboard and a part of the cabinet in the back deteriorated over the years and failed, causing the cabinet to fall off the wall.  The shelf was set on top of the cabinet not supported by any brackets.
Lesson learned, do not use particleboard cabinets in the garage!
Here's a picture after I'd moved a few things out of the way and pulled the car out.

Floyd

That's a bummer but glad it didn't cause serious damage.

JH27N0B

I caught a break though.  A couple weeks ago, I drove the '09 out to the storage facility where my '71 Challenger is stored to trade cars for a while.  The '71 wouldn't start so I had to drive the '09 back home.  The '09's front end is flexible plastic and I suspect if the cabinet had fallen against the '71 the damage to it would have been worse.
Some minor repairs and a new starter and I was able to trade the cars last Friday.  The Rubbermaid cabinet got picked up by the garbageman this morning, and over the weekend I hung up a vintage car parts cabinet I had cluttering up my house with no space in the garage to hang it up.  I kept my car detailing stuff like waxes, polish and car wash in the Rubbermaid cabinet, and most wouldn't fit in the brake part cabinet since the shelves are too close together in it.  But I found other places for the bottles that didn't fit.  The vintage cabinet looks a lot better anyway!

JH27N0B

Quote from: Floyd on July 06, 2021, 02:14:17 PM
That's a bummer but glad it didn't cause serious damage.
Coincidence you should post Bruce.  Your name came up over the weekend, Ron, R/T'S 4 R/P, here on the board stopped by Saturday to check out the '71 and talked about your '71 and the Vanishing Point trip you guys took in one of his Challengers last year.  His friend came with who actually owned my car for a while 30 years ago, but was unable to do the restoration due to personal reasons at the time and sold it to someone in Iowa who did the restoration of it.  He brought pictures of my car from then and some paperwork and records he had on the car, so it was a very interesting visit!
Nice having the car back in my garage for the first time in a couple years.

Floyd

Ron told me about the visit.  Looking forward to getting more details when I see him in Carlisle.  Sure is a pretty car.  I keep hoping he'll see the light and step up to a 71 someday😂

FSHTAIL

I had a baby seat somehow fall off a shelf hitting the nose panel, lil dent.. 

I could have it paintless dent removal, but there's a tiny chip in the flat black, meh..   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)