Main Menu

modern Challenger 4 wheel drive

Started by GoMangoBoys, November 21, 2020, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am going to need to replace my winter / daily driver soon.  I am thinking about getting a used modern Challenger.  Here in NE Ohio, a rear-wheel drive car is not a great choice for winter, especially with the long hill that I have for a driveway.  I understand that some of the modern Challengers have 4 wheel drive.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Any info on what years are better than others?  Any reliability problems? I think I read at one point that the 4WD models were only available with a V6.  Is this the case?
Just toying with this idea and am looking for some insight.
Thanks

Poolshark314

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on November 21, 2020, 08:31:24 PM
I am going to need to replace my winter / daily driver soon.  I am thinking about getting a used modern Challenger.  Here in NE Ohio, a rear-wheel drive car is not a great choice for winter, especially with the long hill that I have for a driveway.  I understand that some of the modern Challengers have 4 wheel drive.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Any info on what years are better than others?  Any reliability problems? I think I read at one point that the 4WD models were only available with a V6.  Is this the case?
Just toying with this idea and am looking for some insight.
Thanks

Cannot speak with certainty on the Challengers, but I believe only 2017 and later Challenger GT's come in AWD. I have an AWD Charger R/T. I believe they stopped making the R/T in AWD after 2015 and made it only available in the V6 on the Chargers as well. FWIW, I have had no reliability issues on my Charger. With the modern cars being so heavy, the AWD has no problem getting traction in snow.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

njsteve

Yup, only the V6 with AWD and 8 -speed transmission. We've had our 2014 Charger AWD since new. 300 HP V6. No problems at all with 85,000 miles on it now. (Knock on wood), Before that we have a 2005 Chrysler 300 with the Hemi and AWD and that was a little more glitchy. (different 5-speed transmission and transaxle)

We bought the Mopar 100K mile extended warranty on the 300 - I used it for all it was worth on the 300. We probably got $10,000 of repairs over the life of the car with it. At 99,995 miles we had the lower control arms and radiator replaced. The transmission started making noises at 110,000 (out of warranty) so we traded it in on the Charger.

We went a bit further with the Charger AWD - the Mopar extended warranty is for the life of the car. no mileage limit!. The catch is that if the repair will be more than the book value of the car at the end, they will give you a check for the value of the car and not do the repair. Cant beat that deal! (only glitch is that it is not transferable). I think we paid $2000 for that warranty. Shopped around and got the warranty from another Dodge dealer out west and had it applied to the car.

Most people arent big fans of extended warrantoes - myself included. Only get them from the manufacturer - Never get one from an aftermarket supplier. They are shifty as hell and won't be in business when you need them. But with the crazy cost of the computer components and digital displays in modern cars, it pays off. The drivetrains last forever - it's the electrical stuff that gets really expensive.

MEK-Dangerous

The GT's were the only all wheel drive Challengers in 2017-18. Now you can get an SXT with all wheel drive. The SXT is the base model.

750-h2

In September 2018 I purchased a new 2019 AWD Challenger GT.  So far its been a great car with ZERO issues. I live in Northern Ontario and drive it year round. The car came with all season Michelin tires and is excellent in snow.  In my opinion there is no need for snow tires. My previous daily driver was a 2015 RWD SXT Challenger. On that car I had snow tires all around and was constantly getting stuck. So far I drove the AWD for two full winters without ever getting stuck. Love it!!   Here a pic of it arriving at my dealership.

MEK-Dangerous

I have a RWD Challenger with all season tires. It gets gets scary if there is anything more than an inch or 2 of snow. I have to plan my way to work, where I won't have to negotiate hills. I'm glad to see the AWD is a big improvement. 

Burdar

What's nice about the AWD is that it's all automatic.  In the summer months when the temps are warm, the AWD disengages and you tool around in RWD.  As soon as the temp drops below 40 degrees, the AWD kicks in.  Of course, when you need the extra traction, the AWD kicks in no matter what the outside temp is.  My parents have an AWD Charger and love it.  The V6 has plenty of power for them and it gets great mileage.

My wife and I just bought a Jeep Cherokee Limited late last year.  The AWD system works the same way the Charger system works except it tools around in FWD when the AWD isn't needed.  There isn't a 4x4 control knob/lever.  It's all automatic.  If you want a true 4-wheel drive in a Cherokee, you need to buy a Trailhawk.

GrandpaKevin

My daughter is looking to buy a well optioned late model AWD Challenger.

We have done a bunch of research and the only thing that has me worried is it seems Challengers are prone to rusting behind the doors when they are driven in bad/winter weather. :o

https://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/rust-rot.131922/

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on November 23, 2020, 03:51:56 PM
My daughter is looking to buy a well optioned late model AWD Challenger.

We have done a bunch of research and the only thing that has me worried is it seems Challengers are prone to rusting behind the doors when they are driven in bad/winter weather. :o

https://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/rust-rot.131922/

Where do you live? I believe this was an issue with the pre 2015 cars. My 2016 has weathered it's share of salt baths here in Maryland, and I have no rust problems. It's my everyday driver too.

Burdar

Looks like snow in there but I assume it's expandable foam?