Main Menu

Mopar City shutting down.

Started by Racer57, February 03, 2021, 08:07:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Let's buy it. Do you know how much $?

RUNCHARGER

Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it going. I don't know this vendor, I have seen local parts vendors try to sell out though and their old habits make them try to sell the whole business at retail value and they never selll them.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I've been there.  I don't think many, if any, of the cars are salvageable as projects but I'm sure some still have worthwhile parts on them.
They have buildings full of mostly used parts, which I'm sure have a decent value.  How you sort through and reasonably value them for a bulk sale, I don't know.  It's a job I cringe even thinking about undertaking!
I can't see him ever scrapping the parts, but finding a buyer to take all the on the parts will be difficult if not impossible, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

B5fourspeed

How would you go about putting a value on that business?

HP2

I've bought parts from him in the past. No complaints.

If he has been trying to sell for the last ten years with no luck, then something is out of kilter whether its expectation or price. 

blown motor

@BIGSHCLUNK  Here you go buddy, your semi-retirement business opportunity.  :D
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RzeroB

Been there once just to check it out. As can be expected, most everything is pretty much picked clean leaving only the "bones". Hate to say it, but a lot of what's left has not much more value than scrap. Larry is a nice enough guy, but if he really wants to get out and retire, he really needs to lower his value expectations and just cash out for whatever he can get while he can. :alan2cents:   
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Shoooter

Looks like some good stuff in there still. Would hate to see the crusher roll in there

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Quote from: TheAutoArchaeologist on February 03, 2021, 07:47:08 PM
This will give you a good idea on what is out there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/albums/72157627521725663

Thank you.  That's what I have been looking for.  Some pictures of the yard. 
@TheAutoArchaeologist
Since you seem to have been to all the yards in America, do you have an opinion on the property? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

YYZ

While specific items might be worth a lot to individual Mopar enthusiasts, there's also a cost to going through it all and selling/shipping.

IMHO a fair price would be

- fair market value of the land (current zoning)
- fair market value of the buildings
- scrap metal values of the cars + 10% (assuming that some could be sold as projects and resurrected)
- deduct any estimated costs of remediating the land -- i.e. is there a requirement that a new owner would have to decontaminate the soil?  Is there potential for the EPA to be involved?

As for the individual parts - probably 5 cents on the dollar for known inventory. 

captcolour

YYZ, that's what I am thinking.  Current value is in the land and the buildings pretty much only.  Would cost a new owner lots of time and money to do something with all of the cars and parts with little return at this point.  He would have done much better selling 10 years ago when he first started thinking of selling.

BIGSHCLUNK

As the resident auto recycler here I'll throw in my 2 cents

Altho there are a few trinkets and trim pieces out in the yard, most of it (from what I can see) is scrap. Right now (in my area) bodies fell $40 a ton last month and $50 this month. So what are you buying?

Now whats hidden away inside? Hemi stuff? 440 stuff? 340 stuff? What kind of tin? I'd guess a prime piece or two but..... Think of all the crap that's hauled to Carlisle year after year after year

I dont see enough there for a viable business at this point. A small hobby operation on craigslist or FB market place maybe.

Land/acreage, whats that worth in the area that it's in ? And are there any environmental issues that need to be addressed? I'll bet there are. Things were done very differently back in the day. I did not see the asking price but I know what it took when I had my small MOPAR section here. It's not as easy as you think.