Main Menu

Moving to Nevada, what's the best way to register 74 Challenger re: smog?

Started by Scooter, July 31, 2021, 11:36:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

So we're just about to close on our new Reno home and just discovered our county is only one of two that has smog... great.

Just checked the NV DMV there and was surprised my 74 Challenger was not automatically smog exempt... even here in the CA looney bin it is exempt. My 74 does not have the original motor... (not that anyone at the DMV would be able to figure this out) and I have 0 clue what smog if any was installed originally.. PVC valve.. maybe EGR.. CATS??

My 67 Fairlane just made the cut and is exempt.

Apparently there are three smog exempt sub categories and at a glance I cannot see much difference:

Classic Vehicle License Plate Application (SP 34)
Classic Rod License Plate Application (SP 20)
Old Timer License Plate Application (SP 12) 

The smog exempt caveat apparently is you cannot drive your heap more than 5k miles annually... odometer functionality required. No clue how they verify this.

Any NV residents able to clue me in? Don't want to muff this one out of the gate.

**added**

I'd really like to keep the original black CA plates on my 67.. any way to get around the "surrender" rule?

Thx!
-Scoot 

MoparLeo

Your questions can only be answered by Nevada's DMV . How would anyone else know unless they actually work for them ?
No legal way to use the plates in another state as your regular plates. A Nevada registration sticker on a California plate ?? Think about that for a minute. I f it is just for shows is one thing but as a driver it is just another car on the road.
What is the fine if you get caught using California plates? It might be worth the risk.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Cuda Cody

How is a 74 Challenger not smog exempt?  Is that really true?

Scooter

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 31, 2021, 12:01:48 PM
Your questions can only be answered by Nevada's DMV . How would anyone else know unless they actually work for them ?

I would expect a NV resident would know how they register their cars.

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 31, 2021, 12:01:48 PMNo legal way to use the plates in another state as your regular plates. A Nevada registration sticker on a California plate ?? Think about that for a minute. I f it is just for shows is one thing but as a driver it is just another car on the road.
What is the fine if you get caught using California plates? It might be worth the risk. [/font]

Think you misunderstood me. I want to keep the original black plates... as in a souvenir to hang on the garage wall.. not actually try to use them in NV.

Scooter

Cuda Cody

In WA state it's a rolling 25 years back to smog exempt. 

Just licences it as a collectible.    :alan2cents:

GoodysGotaCuda

Break out a few $$$ to grease palms every year for the smog check. Been there, done that.

1968 limit is absurd.

If I remember right, to get a "classic" tag required a rather strenuous inspection and it needed to be completely original. Perhaps that has changed, but it was near impossible for most any modified car to get it. Try that first, smogging every year sucks. It's easy enough to get passed the 5,000mi limit if that is an issue, the initial inspection is going to be the hurdle.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Scooter

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 31, 2021, 04:03:48 PM
Break out a few $$$ to grease palms every year for the smog check. Been there, done that.

1968 limit is absurd.

If I remember right, to get a "classic" tag required a rather strenuous inspection and it needed to be completely original. Perhaps that has changed, but it was near impossible for most any modified car to get it. Try that first, smogging every year sucks. It's easy enough to get passed the 5,000mi limit if that is an issue, the initial inspection is going to be the hurdle.

Used to grease the palms in days gone past.. but thought my rods were old nuff to not have to worry about smog any more.

It appears I can apply for the classic rod plate and only need to keep it to 5k miles annually. Guess they verify the odo works one time but beyond that they have no ability to verify annual miles driven and it's on the honor system.

GrantZimmerman

Hello there, guys. We're about to move to Austin. That's why I'd like to ask for your help on how to register a car there. I'd appreciate any information, guys. We've finally found a company that would help us move (https://sekamoving.com/moving/moving-from-nyc-to-austin/), so I hope they do something about it. If you know nothing about registration in Austin, I'd be grateful if you shared any contact information of the officials who deal with registration there. That would greatly help me. Thanks in advance!!

tparker

Another californian here. I just found out about some counties being smog exempt, or something similar. I thought the whole state was 74 and before are smog exempt but some counties are more lenient. I doubt this works, but I have thought about it, what if you got a PO box and registered your car through that PO Box. I doubt it would work, but maybe worth a look. Do you have to register the car at the same place you park it?

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: MoparLeo on July 31, 2021, 12:01:48 PM
No legal way to use the plates in another state as your regular plates. A Nevada registration sticker on a California plate ??

Well, I would think that any member of this board, who lives in Nevada, and owns an E-body, could maybe offer some insight on their personal experiences on how to register their car in Nevada, which may be helpful to the OP. 

But, what do I know?

Also, some states require you to surrender your license plates to them when you 1) sell the vehicle or 2) move out of state.  For example, when my grandmother passed and we inherited her car, we had to fill out an official form to the state of South Carolina that said "license plates are lost" because we wanted to keep her custom license plate.   They expected us to surrender the tag to them upon transfer of ownership. 

Scooter