Main Menu

RIP Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen

Started by 1 Wild R/T, June 11, 2018, 04:31:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on June 11, 2018, 05:03:02 PM
Conveyor belt of life keeps moving, another one gone.

All of the heros and guys we looked up to are slowly passing on....

Cudakiller70

Quote from: IRON MAN on June 12, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
RIP. I may have been in the grandstands the day this picture was taken. These guys left an indelible image etched in my brain. From 1973 to 1979 I was a frequent visitor at FREMONT RACEWAY in my 55 Chevy. Later, it became Baylands Raceway and now Fremont Auto Mall  :'(. Only lived six miles away.
Same here. :iagree: great times and memories.
Lived 4 miles as the crow flies from there. Near Fremont Hub. When we couldn't go, could still hear the races from our house. Wednesday nights were a lotta fun too. First car was a 57 I bought from little AL's wreckers at the end of Mowry ave.

Chryco Psycho

Big loss , they changed racing , it was more of a hobby until they picked up Mattel sponsorship  .
RIP Tom  :andyangel:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on June 12, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
RIP. I may have been in the grandstands the day this picture was taken. These guys left an indelible image etched in my brain. From 1973 to 1979 I was a frequent visitor at FREMONT RACEWAY in my 55 Chevy. Later, it became Baylands Raceway and now Fremont Auto Mall  :'(. Only lived six miles away.
Lived 4 miles as the crow flies from there. Near Fremont Hub. When we couldn't go, could still hear the races from our house. Wednesday nights were a lotta fun too. First car was a 57 I bought from little AL's wreckers at the end of Mowry ave.

I lived/live allot further but spent some time there.... It's Fremont Raceway... Never cared for the Baylands name change.... But then There's been lots of changes I haven't liked....  And from what I see around me I'd say I was right.... :rofl:

leglhi

:Thud: What a bummer.My dad used to take me to PIR back in the 70's to watch all the best go at it.Mongoose,Snake,Blue Max...from the cool paint jobs to the personalitys.Just an amazing time.I just found out 2 years ago at Thanksgiving that i unknowingly married into a drag racing family when a amazingly nice lady to my right at dinner commented that she heard i drag raced.I replied that i did when i could.She said that her brother had also been a drag racer but had passed on.I asked her his name....Dick Landy  :unbelievable:.I was treated to some behind the scenes street racing stories that i'll always cherish.
If it ain't broke,fix it till it is

Chryco Psycho

Cudakiller70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 12, 2018, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Cudakiller70 on June 12, 2018, 12:44:41 PM

I lived/live allot further but spent some time there.... It's Fremont Raceway... Never cared for the Baylands name change.... But then There's been lots of changes I haven't liked....  And from what I see around me I'd say I was right.... :rofl:

I remember it was originally Fremont dragstrip, then raceway, then baylands.
Note name on their Facebook page and newspaper ad and posters.

71-440

Joe