Need Help-I am confused

Started by js27, May 19, 2021, 08:17:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Top Banana

Three Two Barrels- Great idea!

YellowThumper

Quote from: 70 Top Banana on May 19, 2021, 05:47:20 PM
Three Two Barrels- Great idea!
Because you painted it. That would show it scraping off if it was hitting the wind age tray.
My thoughts on the oil showing is that is not in the puddle. What is showing may be just splashing of oil landing on it.
This would explain why level did not change.
I would ask someone to give you a measurement of how deep the dipstick feeds into stock setup in pan. Pan depth, size and volume is irrelevant.  Height of oil must be maintained. Match your dipstick depth to stock and fill as needed for the proper reading at the known proper depth.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: three two barrels on May 19, 2021, 05:41:55 PM
Do you know if your engine has a windage tray?
I had the same problem with my stroker motor, the dipstick would catch on the windage tray and slide along on top of it instead of going deep into the pan giving a false reading.
When you insert your dipstick listen if it goes straight in the pan or if you hear it scraping along the windage tray.

This is another thought I had .

js27

Not sure if there is a windage tray or not. The original owner does not remember. I do not hear or feel anything when I insert the stick. It feels and sounds like it is going right in. I think the problem is it is a chrome stick which the oil does not like to stick to or show the level very well. I painted the stick last night and tried it this morning and BAM. I can see the oil line clearly and looks to be 3 Qts over full. I will be searching for a original Stick and tube. I will be draining and changing the oil and filter today. At least now I know I am not crazy in my old age-LOL. THANK YOU ALL for your help and suggestions. This is why I love this site. Anybody got a original dip stick and tube for sale ??
JS27

Burdar

Hey, I was right for once!  Mark it on the calendar please!

Before throwing that dipstick in the trash, I'd try sanding through the coating to bare metal...then see if the oil level shows up clearly then.  Just put some 220 grit paper on a flat surface and sand the end of the dipstick until that chrome coating goes away.  Actually, if you have a bead blaster, blasting the chrome off might be quicker and easier then sanding.

anlauto

:iagree: If you "rough up" with a bit of media blast or something, you'll likely be able to read it better...Good call Darren  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: js27 on May 20, 2021, 04:58:28 AM
At least now I know I am not crazy in my old age-LOL.
I don't know...using a dipstick to prove you're not crazy?...   :dunno:....lol

Congrats burdar!  :bigthumb:    Although I'm pretty sure you have offered up quite a bit of correct info in multiple threads.  :yes:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

js27

Changed the oil and filter this morning. I put in 5 qts of Valvoline VR1 and a new filter. Started up and let it run for 10 minutes and shut it down and let it sit for 15 minutes and Bam---the level was right on.  I will do the sanding since I do not think the paint will hold up sitting in hot oil all the time. Thanks Again for every bodies help..
JS27

Mopsquad

Love when a mystery/crime gets solved.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Mopsquad on May 20, 2021, 12:44:17 PM
Love when a mystery/crime gets solved.

Ha ha on the pic @Mopsquad  . Every time I see one of him it reminds me of a story he told on one of the daytime talk shows.
He had a glass eye and took it out every night. Woke up one morning because his dog was crunching on it.

JS glad you have it sorted.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BIGSHCLUNK

As one who's been round the block w dipsticks vs schumaker mounts....  I filled the oil , got out the dremel , made my own makes and done !

js27

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 22, 2021, 08:37:08 AM
As one who's been round the block w dipsticks vs schumaker mounts....  I filled the oil , got out the dremel , made my own makes and done !

I did changed oil and filter--sanded the chrome coating off my dipstick and made my own marks. ALL BETTER NOW !
JS27