Main Menu

Chemicals and paints you have saved over time

Started by Topcat, February 26, 2017, 06:05:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I open my cupboards and I have so many types of paints, thinners, reducers, body stuff etc.

I need to thin the herd down and hate to just throw some of it away.

I'll make a list this Spring and clean out old stuff.

What are your shelves hiding?
What are your plans with it?

Cuda Cody

I tend to hang on to way to much old paint.  :looney:  Stuff that is dried up and hard I think "well, maybe I'll want to color match that paint someday" so I keep it.   :Thud:

anlauto

We're having the inside of the house painted now. I have a friend that comes in and does it for me (keeps the wife very happy).....anyways.....We found all the original paint from the last time he did it about 10 years ago......I guess I can throw that out now.....
Then I started thinking about all the spray bombs I have sitting around that haven't been used in years, there's a lot....

Unfortunately we have to take it to a proper dumping station now and I'll most likely be charged to get rid of it  :pullinghair:

Don't understand why you can't just throw it in a ditch somewhere :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yup: And it can be a real pain to find someone to dispose of it for you. I have some from 25 years ago. House paint no problem but here no one wants to touch auto paint. I've thought about putting a bit of hardener into it and then into the trash but that's not the right thing to do.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Our local Transfer Station (fancy name for "dump your crap here" and we'll take it somewhere else) take paints and household chemicals for free and recycles them.

Quote from: anlauto on February 26, 2017, 06:48:09 PM
We're having the inside of the house painted now. I have a friend that comes in and does it for me (keeps the wife very happy).....anyways.....We found all the original paint from the last time he did it about 10 years ago......I guess I can throw that out now.....
Then I started thinking about all the spray bombs I have sitting around that having been used in years, there's a lot....

Unfortunately we have to take it to a proper dumping station now and I'll most likely be charged to get rid of it  :pullinghair:

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 26, 2017, 06:50:27 PM
Our local Transfer Station (fancy name for "dump your crap here" and we'll take it somewhere else) take paints and household chemicals for free and recycles them.

Quote from: anlauto on February 26, 2017, 06:48:09 PM
Then I started thinking about all the spray bombs I have sitting around that having been used in years, there's a lot....

I just asked at our local dump last week....NOPE ! Have to go to a special place the next town over :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

No one here will touch it either. I have to friendly up with a body shop I guess.
Sheldon

Topcat

Glad to hear there's thoughtful thinking on what do with it.

Remember the movie with Batman and the Penguin?
He was born from the refuse of chemicals. Right?

I see alot of sick stuff (dumping) especially in Oakland.
Chemicals, oil you name it.

I believe in kharma. Get rid of your old stuff properly.   :alan2cents: