Main Menu

Need some help on a NEW Challenger - passenger seat flip-down feature

Started by ViperMan, October 17, 2017, 12:14:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Hey folks.  My wife's '10 Challenger has the "feature" where you lean it forward to access the back seat, and once it leans so far forward, it then releases the slide mechanism at the bottom, letting the seat slide forward.

About a month ago, she reported that upon leaning the seat forward to get our daughter out of the back, there was a popping noise under the seat, and now it no longer slides forward.

I took the seat out yesterday and found a cable that runs from the seat back down to the handle that you usually pull up on to make the seat slide.  The cable goes through a small, metal clip, which attaches to a bracket that sticks up on that handle.  When the cable gets tight enough, it's supposed to pull that handle up and let the seat slide.

I'm assuming that a clamp or crimp-end of some sort stopped the cable from pulling through the little metal clip, and whatever that was popped off.  (It appears to take a significant amount of tension to actually lift that large handle.)  I tried crimping on some electrical connector ends, but they failed immediately upon testing.

Can ANYONE sneak a phone up under the passenger seat of their Challenger, slide the seat all the way back and tilt the seat all the way back, and see if you can spot a cable sticking out on the inside-edge of the seat.  It's the side that runs along the center console.  It should be visible just above the wide handle that you use to slide the seat.  (When the seat is leaned back, the cable sticks forward the most.  I'm just wondering what Dodge had on there originally.

I'm going to swing by a bicycle shop to see if they sell the crimp ends, and possibly even have a tool I can borrow to try re-crimping it, but I'm also reading that I could possibly apply a bunch of solder to the end to act as a stop as well.

Thanks!

anlauto

You might have to ask this on a web site that features new Challengers, it could be a common problem  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Contact @MoparDave at roseville & see if there is any recall or coverage for this problem ?

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

MoparDave

haven't heard of this being a major issue. 7 year old car, things are going to pop and wear out.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Chryco Psycho

I am thinking Ashley uses that feature a Lot more than most people would putting Melanie in & out of the back seat

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

MoparDave

if that is what's needed. there is basically no dealer demand
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/