Main Menu

new shop in the near future

Started by dougdel, November 24, 2017, 06:36:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: dougdel on November 25, 2017, 05:00:04 AM
Brad,  what size do you think you want?  You can get  a 24x24x12 for around 10k U S D 20x24 for 8600 they even offered me a 20x40 for 11200 which would have been great except local zoning wouldn't allow it. They'll give me a $500 referral fee for a sale.

I'm thinking 25x 40 or 45 not sure yet...... I want to go as big as possible. ( septic and lot lines  are my restraints... oh and money too!lol). I know I want 12" ceilings also as I want a hoist at some point. I'm in Canada so I doubt a referral would do any good? 

Spikedog08

Sure wish I could have a storage building .  .  Congrats on the barn!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

dougdel

I have a required depth of 30" here for footers,  soil is brown/ red clay to about 8'.
  As for doors,  this includes the walk door,   I'm sourcing my own over head,  their mark up is ridiculous, and I  have someone for the engineering stamps for the foundation.  that's $$ saved over the manufacturers prices.
  I elected no windows for security reasons and nosey people looking in them.
now to start taking out 2 trees and cutting the rough grade

Shane Kelley

Always build it as big as you possibly can afford   I can tell from years of experience that they are never big enough.

I feel for you guys with zoning and permit crap. Out here where I live in the sticks you just go out and build whatever, whenever. No permission needed. Getting ready to add on to my shop. I need a area for dirty Body and paint work here at the house. Maybe a 30x30 room.

dodj

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 24, 2017, 03:27:13 PM
Having a little extra shop space is a huge deal for a car guy.   :popcorn:
Like the "little" extra space you built? lol  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: Shane Kelley on November 26, 2017, 07:24:08 AM
Always build it as big as you possibly can afford   I can tell from years of experience that they are never big enough.

I feel for you guys with zoning and permit crap. Out here where I live in the sticks you just go out and build whatever, whenever. No permission needed. Getting ready to add on to my shop. I need a area for dirty Body and paint work here at the house. Maybe a 30x30 room.

Agree on both points, no zoning crap out here either & the shop is NEVER big enough! Mine was 40x88 with a 24x40 upstairs for storage & I am just finishing up a 16x88 addition across the back! The addiction is bad!  :yes: LOL

Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dougdel on November 26, 2017, 07:07:24 AM

I elected no windows for security reasons and nosey people looking in them.

I would/will do a few light panels in the upper wall areas, the norm is to put them on the roof but then they are exposed to direct sun & they tend to break down... As they break down they start trapping dirt & the light gets cut dramatically... By mounting them high on the walls they get less direct sun and they are easy to hose off, they are still very effective in giving you free light & they are no more security risk than the regular metal panels cause face it a crook with a battery powered tool can peel back a metal panel in about 30 seconds...

RUNCHARGER

I agree: The high windows are a nice addition, even better if you have a parts mezzanine up there.
Sheldon

dougdel

Quote from: Shane Kelley on November 26, 2017, 07:24:08 AM

your lucky not having to deal with zoning issues.  This is one of the toughest localities in the state to do anything .  Zoning, permitting, environmental crap and each stage of the way, pay a fee.   mostly its all about the  :bigmoney:  but,  guess that's the cost of living in an area like this.

dougdel

After many delays and other things that took me away from here I finally have progress on my little shop.  Broke ground last summer, then it rained seemingly everyday, finally got the foundation and slab before winter, and finally this past weekend we started putting this big erector set together.  It's as big as local zoning permits so, I'll have to make as much use of the space as I can and I can give my wife beck the attached garage on the house.
At the end of the day it was deep fried turkey for everyone

dougdel

Building this thing by myself so progress has been a little slow but I'm finally ready for the overhead door

Chryco Psycho

every car guy needs a bigger place to play !!

cuda hunter

Looks great!

Interesting that they require your ufer to be a full ground wire tied into your foundation around what looks like the entire foundation.  Very different than here. 

So in the end was it really cheaper (including your labor) to build a metal building instead of a stick built building?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

dougdel

User ground is 20' plus a 5/8 x8' rod and to be bonded to the nearest column. Oh well that's what they wanted so there's no arguing about it.
As far as cost, right now I have about 15k in it including equipment rentals and I did pay my concrete guy even though he didn't want it other than the cost of the concrete.  Guessing to finish the electric will be around another 1k and whatever the overhead door costs
But it will have cable and internet I ran the pipe for that too, thinking I won't be able to pick up a good wireless signal from the house because of the metal walls and reflective insulation, it will be like a big sciff so I'll pull cat 6 in and set up a switch and wireless router.  I also acquired a ductless heat/a/c unit from a demo job I did.  The unit was only a year old and I couldn't see tossing it in the dumpster.
46" flat screen, and a stainless fridge are also waiting to be installed