Main Menu

Not car related but this cool if you like woodworking

Started by blown motor, December 12, 2017, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

This morning I was in a local, old school planing mill. There was a whole row of functioning, belt driven machines. These are used on a regular basis. The last picture is a circa late 1800s planer. Some of the other machines looked just as old. Very cool place to see.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71GranCoupe

Great pictures of the old school technology, just amazing what things use to look like.  :thankyou:

LinceCuda

I work on a lot of historical homes and buildings and have to replicate a lot of old moldings, porches, stair cases ect. A question I get quite often is " how do you do that " lol. My answer is well if they could do it a 150-200 years ago with the tools they had back then surely I should be able to do it with all the modern tools of today.  Thanks for sharing love see pics of the old stuff.  :clapping:

Dakota

Thanks for sharing the pics.   I can almost smell the sawdust.  Love it.

1 Wild R/T

Awesome!!! How it was done before OSHA walked onto the job site....

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 12, 2017, 07:12:24 PM
Awesome!!! How it was done before OSHA walked onto the job site....
Amazing anyone survived eh?  ::)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Great pics.  There were some very intelligent folks back then.  Most of those old mills were water operated. Just like the flour mills.  :clapping:

Jay Bee

Very cool, thanks. That's the real example of "built to last"

johnr

:twothumbsup:  Sweet !   My grandfather was on of those wood craftsmen that had learned his craft in 'the old country" in Demark early 1900's.
--  johnr  --

340challconvert

Thanks for posting, always liked everything antique: houses, cars, furniture.
Reminds me of an episode of This Old House where they highlighted an original, old wood working shop

Have to love the old technology with leather belts to run the saws!
Owned and restored a number of historic homes in my life (1880's brownstone, 1920's Dutch colonial and 1894 Victorian/Colonial)

If you like antique, historic homes, check out pictures of my old home town; Glen Ridge, NJ, which has the original gas lamps from the late 19th century still in operation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glen+ridge+nj+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp5uDtu4fYAhWO14MKHd7EA_QQsAQIKA&biw=1920&bih=900

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cuda hunter

Pretty cool old stuff.

I'm glad I can build homes with modern tools ! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

340challconvert

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 14, 2017, 05:32:04 AM
Pretty cool old stuff.

I'm glad I can build homes with modern tools !

Couldn't imagine cutting logs into 2 x lumber with the saws w leather straps, though that's what they did.
Home Depot was my best friend when I was working on the old houses.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

jimynick

Murray, is that Hoffmeyer's in Sebringville? It sure looks like it. I bought the base board for a lot of my house from them. Those old belts used to be driven by a water turbine he told me. Cool pics any way you cut it- pun intended.  :twothumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"