Main Menu

Now I get: "I want to buy your car flyer" at the door

Started by Topcat, April 15, 2018, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Last 3 to 6 months I've had 3 people trying to inquire about buying my car.

Last week one guy even left a flyer.

Ever had that happen? People coming up to you?

Keep the garage closed.  :looney:

But they see the Dana underneath the car cover if the garage is open.

superdave

Happened to my brother last year. I told him it was going to happen because he had the door open while working in the driveway. Sure enough..... :cheers:

1 Wild R/T

Been pestered for years.... Keep the cover on, door down as much as possible... Sad, you work hard to be able to enjoy your toys & then ya gotta hide it ...

RUNCHARGER

Yes: If a person wants to sell a car they generally advertise it. I keep the garage close all the time as well.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

One of the best parts of our area is the rearward facing garage. We have an alley behind the house [houses on both side], only a handful of folks see the car when it's out. :wrenching:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

fc7cuda

Take it as a compliment, but also drop the hint about your alarm system, .44 mag., pit bull, lo-jack, brother is the sheriff, you're always home, etc....

mopar thunder

The garage doors are a bone of contention in my house. I have, since the beginning of our relationship, told my wife to keep the doors closed as much as possible, and it just doesn't happen as much as I would like.  :tired:

Brads70

I live on a somewhat busy street. It hasn't happened in awhile but most every time I would take it out of the garage to work on something a perfect stranger would stop and  ask questions sort of feeling you out I would think? Mostly admiring the car and telling you about a buddy that had one back in the day sort of stuff. Sometimes time is in short supply to work on the car and I just get started doing something and someone wants to talk when I want to work. Bothered me when they would go eyeball the contents of my garage as I have a bit of money tied up in equipment and tools. First thing that pops into your head is are they casing the joint to come back later to steal something. Sometimes I park it on the lawn when moving cars around.... then people often stop thinking it's for sale.
I guess these cars bring lots of attention mostly good I guess but some bad too.

Cuda_mark

The contractor that paved my driveway had to have access to my garage. He gave my number to a buddy of his that cold called me asking me what it would take to sell my 70 Challenger to him. He left me about 6 voicemails...

61K T/A

Nothing  attracks more attention in my neighborhood is when I start my car. I also keep a moving blanket over the trunk so people who gaze into my garage can't really see what I got.

Marc70challenger

We're fortunate. We live on a cul de sac and only my immediate neighbors can see the garages and driveway. They're all cool and the kids like the cars.

I've been followed home before though in the neighborhood. Usually really nice guys who "have seen" the car driving around and just curious. 

If I was followed outside I wouldn't drive home.  I pulled over once and let him go past me.  He just waved and kept going. 

I walk around a couple times a month in the driveway as well in my underwear, LBE and With my AR.  Keeps the crazies away.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 61K T/A on April 16, 2018, 06:15:01 AM
Nothing  attracks more attention in my neighborhood is when I start my car. I also keep a moving blanket over the trunk so people who gaze into my garage can't really see what I got.

My Cuda is the same way, and I try to not start it until its after 8:00-8:30 am but there are a couple car shows that start early.  There is one car always parked up the street from me that I set off their alarm every time I drive by. I like all my neighbors and neighborhood, and they put up with me so no need to piss off people.

85% of the time the cars have their cover on them, so its hard to tell what I have but a few have stopped when I have one in the driveway.  They tell their stories and ask questions, part of the joy of owning a classic Mopar.  The only times I get offers are at shows or occasionally while driving.  I throw out a very high number that I would gladly sell it for, and that usually ends the conversation. 

71vert340

These old Mopars attract attention. A friend of mine has an automotive repair business on a busy street. A customer has a 1971 SuperBee at his place for an rebuild of the 383. It's parked in the parking lot where it's seen from the street. The customer is the original owner and would never sell it. My friend has people stopping in all the time asking if the car is for sale. He said it's very distracting but brings people in. He told me he could have sold it many times over if it was his.
Terry

anlauto

You guys are nuts....if someone wants to "buy your car".....tell them a price that's double the value, remember you have the upper hand...they may laugh or they may bite.....SELL IT...... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2018, 07:27:53 AM
You guys are nuts....if someone wants to "buy your car".....tell them a price that's double the value, remember you have the upper hand...they may laugh or they may bite.....SELL IT...... :alan2cents:
:iagree: Then take that money, buy a 70 or 71 e-body project and take it to Alan to get it restored. Simple.   :D
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel