Main Menu

One of those days !!

Started by js27, April 23, 2020, 06:05:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

Today was  --ONE OF THOSE DAYS--. Started stripping my grille for a repaint this morning. 1st off pull the emblem off. First screw comes right out no problem. 2nd screw is rusted to the point where the socket just spins. Soak it up with some liquid wrench and let it sit. Try a small adjustable-no good. Grab a vice grip and lock it on--no good -head is just too small to get a good bite. Okay change of plans and get out my dremel with a cut wheel to cut the head off. Dremel motor spins but the wheel doesn't. Okay then grab my air powered grinder and start grinding. Get about 1/2 way thru and the air compressor goes to kick on and trips the breaker. Reset the breaker and boom trips again. Try different outlets and same issue. Okay then get the good old electric drill out with a grind stone and finally get the emblem off. Load the compressor drive up drive  20 minutes to our local shop and they are closed. I was there 2 weeks ago and they were open. On the way back home stopped at Home Depot and bought a new Dremel. So 7 hours after I started this simple project I got the grille ready for its Dark Argent. I hope tomorrow goes a little better And I can get the hood molding done without any problems.  LOL

Rich G.

Been there done that. Days like that I just walk away and find something else to do. Like sit on my butt with a cup of coffee and good magazine and chill!

anlauto

Yup, we've all had those days....it's ten times worse when you're doing it for a customer....I can't charge them four hours for a job that was supposed to only be 30 mins... although I imagine some shops do :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

Sorry for your pain, but I think we all have been there. And yes it does suck !

Scooter

^^ LOL. We've all had them. I usually look up at the sky and say.. "is that all you got...??!!". Wife thinks I'm overdue for a lightning bolt.  :))

JS29

RUNCHARGER

"I'll just go out and work on the car for an hour"
Sheldon

chargerdon

yep,   two months ago when welding up the new a518 crossmember, the welder stopped.   I thought..what the...  turned to look at it expecting to see the thermal overload light on, but, instead it was smoking !!   Unplugged, opened it up and the thing was fried...toast.   Damn..  So, ok it was a cheap Harbour Freight 90 amp flux welder that i bought with coupon for $129 over 10 years ago.   

So, go online and look for a coupon to replace it, and 125 amp welder at Harbour Freight only $119 and they compare it to Irontron (sold by Northern Tool) at $179.   But, started reading the reviews and they weren't too good.   So, went online to Norther Tool and found their 125 amp welder at $199 but on sale for $99 !!   Their reviews were very good.   So bought the Irontron 125 amp flux welder.   Got it home, and put in the flux wire, and started welding....right off the bat found that the weld quality was much much better than the old Harbour Freight.   So... Happy !!   

Dakota

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 23, 2020, 08:18:11 AM

Boy do I have that t-shirt in all available colors and sizes.   My wife, with good reason, routinely doubles any time estimate that I give her when I'm working on something.   And I know she does it, so now I'm trying to double my estimate to be more accurate, which she still doubles.... and she still ends up being right a majority of the time.   

It's usually these time rat hole kind of stories about things breaking or frying or jamming that get in the way.   The amount of time that comes after "whoops" or "uh oh" is never short.  But I'm still having fun anyways.

JS29

Good thing your not working fiat rate!  :haha:

Brads70

Yep I usually shut the door and go back in the house..... before stuff starts takes flight!  :D

BIGSHCLUNK

:iagree:  ....a man's got to know his limitations -Clint Eastwood

Brads70

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on April 23, 2020, 02:42:43 PM
:iagree:  ....a man's got to know his limitations -Clint Eastwood

Ya " nothing like a good piece of hickory"  :haha:

usraptor

Quote from: Dakota on April 23, 2020, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 23, 2020, 08:18:11 AM

Boy do I have that t-shirt in all available colors and sizes.   My wife, with good reason, routinely doubles any time estimate that I give her when I'm working on something.   And I know she does it, so now I'm trying to double my estimate to be more accurate, which she still doubles.... and she still ends up being right a majority of the time.   

It's usually these time rat hole kind of stories about things breaking or frying or jamming that get in the way.   The amount of time that comes after "whoops" or "uh oh" is never short.  But I'm still having fun anyways.

:iagree:  110%!