Main Menu

Picked up vintage gas pumps

Started by 70/6chall, June 22, 2018, 12:34:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

Well! I dropped some bucko's on a couple of vintage gas pumps. God knows why?! Can't even finish projects I already have going on, plus family obligations. A friend has owned these in hopes of restoring them himself. He offered them to me for $50. each, they were stored in a shed for several years. I really have always wanted a couple of old pumps, just to have, I been half heartedly looking,there have been other priorities to be sure. They are a pair of A. O. Smith L3 1955-1964 regular and premium pumps, complete ready to restore except the globes. My Dads second job was nite manager at a flying A station, in the late '50's. So..... flying A it is. Premium pump says .39 cents a gal. not $3.39. Let's see if I get to them. Have a pic to show what they should look like when complete.      Thanks,   Al

Cuda Cody

Burdar

You STOLE those.  I've wanted some old pumps for a long time.  Most people get BIG money for them.  Great score!!!

JS29

those were A bargain!!!! how much was the price of the regular pump?

blown motor

Great deal. Can't go wrong there.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70/6chall

Yeah, I know, even when you get into the Petroliana thing, which does relate to our classic car hobby can get just as pricey. These were of course obtained from a friend who just decided he didn't care to bother with them any more. These are complete including the pump mechanism, so they are quite heavy. In very good condition,  again $50. each. He also wants to sell me a large bulk oil container again another $50. And a '50's style gas station Champion  spark plug cleaning machine.
   Thanks,   Al

JH27N0B

A vintage gas pump is on my bucket list of things I'd like to own someday.  When I have a bigger garage/building so I have space for such things!
My late grandfather owned a store in a small town in Ohio that for many years until maybe the mid 70s had 2 Sohio gas pumps in front of it.  In the early 50s, Sohio featured him and the family in a story about a shareholder in their annual report.  There was a picture of the store with the pumps inn the article, that is the pump and style I'd want in my grandfathers memory.

Nice  you can't pass up that deal !

71-440

$50.00 each? You stole those pumps!  :ohyeah:
Joe

Brads70

Wow great deal! I'd love to have one of those Sunoco blender pumps and then hooked up to race fuel.

Brads70

CudaMoparRay

You're a lucky man Al have fun restoring them and when you are finished I'll come by with the 'Cuda to filler up 😂

anlauto

Quote from: 71-440 on June 22, 2018, 06:05:55 PM
$50.00 each? You stole those pumps!  :ohyeah:

We haven't seen pictures of the ones he purchased yet  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ZEN357

We had a station in my area that had two old pumps that couldn't go past $3.00 a gallon.  Back in 2005 they finally got new ones.

303 Mopar

Quote from: ZEN357 on June 27, 2018, 10:38:32 AM
We had a station in my area that had two old pumps that couldn't go past $3.00 a gallon.  Back in 2005 they finally got new ones.

I remember for the longest time the station signs only had room for 2 digits, so once it went past a $1 they read .01.