Main Menu

Quarantine or not?

Started by torredcuda, March 20, 2020, 09:51:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

I agree with that for the most part. While Sweeden is relatively high in the death department at the moment, it will likely be at the low end later this year where Canada will likely be higher. I'm thinking Sweeden will be near the bottom when numbers are tallied up in a couple years.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

Sweden is just getting it over with now, the rest of us are just dragging it out longer.  :notsure:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

At least with more time to learn and understand, survival rates, for seniors in particular, may get better the longer it is delayed?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Toronto is now cancelling things for September....Our Canadian National Exhibition which has ran for 142 years has now been cancelled for only the second time since it started...the other time was during WWII  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

2 new cases in B.C. today and 1 death. Not much action for our land mass I would say.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

China cases are rising again. We are going to SIP until a valid vaccine is available.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mopar5

In my opinion A vaccine is a long way off

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
especially seeing as they have never yet identified the virus & because this type of virus has Never had a successful vaccine created

mopartaz

Hydroxychloroquine is  a cure and vaccine

torredcuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 12, 2020, 09:34:26 PM
:iagree:
especially seeing as they have never yet identified the virus & because this type of virus has Never had a successful vaccine created

"How hopeful should we be that there will be a vaccine that works and that we can get our hands on by next year?

Several companies, governments and foundations are betting billions of dollars that it will be possible.

Paul Stoffels, chief scientific officer for Johnson & Johnson, says he's optimistic because of his company's recent experience making vaccines for other viral diseases.

"We have done it with Zika, RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), Ebola," he says. "We know what we do. And if we plug a new virus into that system, we are pretty sure we can get to a vaccine."

That said, vaccine people will tell you that every time you start working on a vaccine for a new virus, you don't know what the hurdles will be. There's a lot of work that needs to be done before we know for sure whether those bets will pay off."
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 12, 2020, 09:34:26 PM
because this type of virus has Never had a successful vaccine created
Kinda wondered how they are guessing they could figure out a vaccine for this brand of corona, but not the other 5 or 6? that are out there?

JH27N0B

Has there ever been a Coronavirus before that was especially dangerous?  I doubt there'd be much motivation to develop a vaccine for the common cold for example.  It doesn't kill anybody or cause any long term complications.
That being said I'm not an expert, but impressed that apparently everyone else on the internet has become one!  :D
Companies are working on vaccines and I doubt they be doing that if there wasn't any chance can be done. But from what I read it's doubtful one would be available until next winter at the earliest and then there is the challenge of creating billions of doses and getting them out to populations throughout the world. 
In the meantime, people are tired of being cooped up, weather is getting nicer, and people will go out regardless of politicians finger wagging at them.  I believe the virus will become another risk that people will need to consider when living life.  For younger healthy people the risk is low, for older and those with preexisting conditions the risk is higher and they may decide to curtail activities this year and next.  But regardless government trying to prolong stay at home indefinitely is not realistic and social unrest will build as they continue to try to push this strategy.

RUNCHARGER

I haven't read anything on it lately however a few months ago I read that once they figured they had a vaccine it would take 1 year of testing before they could release it.
Sheldon

Mopar5

Interesting enough China has devastated the world economy with yet another virus that originates from there. Now their hackers are hard at work as usual trying to steal our research and technology on a treatment and vaccine.

mopartaz

The answer to the question, "Was the lockdown worth it?" is a resounding no.

Ordering the citizenry to cower in their homes, harassing people for walking on an empty beach, and mandating small businesses close up shop regardless of their hygienic procedures has never, in the history of mankind, been demonstrated to be effective in combating any infectious disease.  In summary, lockdowns do not work.

It was common knowledge by early March, based on the experience in Italy, South Korea and other nations, that this virus was problematic for the elderly with serious underlying conditions.  (In Italy 85% of deaths have been among those over 70 with serious underlying conditions) Rather than focus and expend all available resources on that portion of the population, this nation decided, based on bogus science, to institute a state optioned complete or partial lockdown leaving that segment of society to essentially fend for itself -- with disastrous consequences. All the while decimating the economy, people's livelihoods and marginalizing freedom of speech, religion, and assembly.

This nation has made the biggest blunder in its history.

The time has come for the politicians from the President to the Governors and Mayors to stop hiding behind the scientist/bureaucrats and fully reopen the nation.   Focus on that segment of the population most at risk, without compulsory isolation or de facto imprisonment.   And restore the civil liberties that have been wantonly eroded.