Main Menu

Ralleys or Steel Wheels on an all black Cuda; opinions

Started by Matt13, November 15, 2022, 01:10:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I agree with @dodj; for $500 bucks throw the Rallye wheels in the garage!  Or put Rallye wheels on one side nd steelies on the other - cant see them both at the same time anyway
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Mr Cuda

Quote from: 198D13 on November 16, 2022, 12:55:22 PM
My choice.
If I had those, I'd leave them.
I would love to choose between 15" steels and 15" rallyes,  but my car came with 14x6 and spoke hubcaps.
It just seems so wrong on a 1971 340/4 spd car.
I know the first owner swapped them to 14x6 sport wheels before he took it off the lot.
It has 15" rallyes now, but I might take it to it's first show with hubcaps

Cuda_mark

The only cars that I think shouldn't have steelies are AAR's and T/A's. Those should be rallyes.

198D13

Quote from: Cuda_mark on November 17, 2022, 04:53:50 AM
The only cars that I think shouldn't have steelies are AAR's and T/A's. Those should be rallyes.

AAR's ONLY come with rallyes, they were never optioned for steel wheels.

anlauto

Quote from: 198D13 on November 17, 2022, 05:44:49 AM
Quote from: Cuda_mark on November 17, 2022, 04:53:50 AM

AAR's ONLY come with rallyes, they were never optioned for steel wheels.

...and that's why they look so bad with them on...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Matt13

Pulled the trigger and got the Steelies. Now do I black powdercoat or leave the 25+ year old black paint on...(or try that product Steel-It). Has anyone used it?

usraptor

When I factory ordered my original '70 'Cuda in Oct. of '69 (yes I'm old) I purposefully passed on the Rallye wheels and got the steelies and poverty caps.  As a 22 year old and being a teenager in the '60s during the original muscle car era, and frequently cruising Whittier Blvd, I knew that as soon as I got the car I was going to install 5 spoke mags ASAP. (Pic #1)  After the tire shop installed the new mag wheels they asked me what I wanted to do with the steelies and poverty caps.  Since I was living in an apartment at the time and didn't have any storage space I told them to just throw them in their dumpster.  :o :-[ :clueless: :huh: :crying:  When I bought my current '70 'Cuda in 2009 it came with factory Rallye wheels.  (Pic #2)  When I finished the restoration 8 years later the Rallye wheels still needed a lot of love.  Being a fan of the "day two" look anyway and wanting to get the car quickly back on the road I bought and installed American Racing 5 spoke Polished Aluminum wheels with BF Goodrich TA Radials.  (Pic #3)  One of these days I'll finish restoring the OEM Rallye wheels, but I'm in no hurry as I'll probably just hang them on the shop wall anyway.  No, they're not for sale.

torredcuda

Quote from: usraptor on November 17, 2022, 04:49:42 PM
  After the tire shop installed the new mag wheels they asked me what I wanted to do with the steelies and poverty caps.  Since I was living in an apartment at the time and didn't have any storage space I told them to just throw them in their dumpster.

Exactly where steelies and poverty caps belong!  :haha:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.