Main Menu

Re-Wire

Started by BillR1212, October 15, 2019, 05:33:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BillR1212

Hi Team,

It's been a while since I posted. Decided to have a shop tackle the rewire of the car since I'm sick of getting stranded with a wire burning up, or dim headlights. Just had the engine and trans refreshed. Sniper EFI installed. Gear venders was put in last year, although not working at present time. Hopefully the shop doing the work can figure it out. Going with a complete bumper to bumper rewire. New Carpet, LED headlights, Dakota Digital Dash gauges. Heat insulation under the carpet. Might add some other things as well, while they have it torn apart. Any suggestions?

https://www.headlightexperts.com/catalog/product/view/id/503/s/h6024-dual-beam-sealed-beam-led-headlight-conversion-kit/category/2/

GoodysGotaCuda

Good luck!

It took me about three months to completely rewire my car with a EFIsource harness, painless harness and an empty fuse box. It's quite an undertaking.

I'm a big fan of my Lizard Skin ceramic thermal barrier, it's on my floor and underside of the roof.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Are you planning a new stock harness rewire or an aftermarket
If after market you have a lot of choices American Autowire , Painless , Ron Francis , Hotwire Ez wire etc
I have worked with most of them , not much difference really

BillR1212

American Autowire is the harness they bought. I'm also adding in a Roll cage as the car is more high performance and gets taken to the track a lot. I'll feel better with the added structure. Also picked up a bunch of small items. New door handle, door sills, window cranks, and hood emblems. Excited to see it come together. Feels good to not have to do the work this time. However my bank account will take a hit!

Bill R

BillR1212

Updates via pictures. Can't remember if I mentioned it. I decided to add a 4 point roll cage while the seats where out. Someday it might come in handy

anlauto

Might as well add Vintage-Air while you're at it ! :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda70-74

Looks nice and I think new wiring for old cars are a most. I did use American auto wire when I rewired my 69 mustang but im going to use Kwik Wire Budget 14 Circuit Universal Wiring Kit Hot Rat Rod on my cuda its should be fun to do
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

392 Cuda

Any pics of the cage?

BillR1212

Cage isn't in yet. Thats the last piece. Speaking with the shop today they said it's 95 percent done. I'm awaiting more pictures.

I'd love vintage air, but I've already blown 4 thousand over my budget. everytime they call, they say.. "while we have XYZ taken apart, it would save you labor to add in X product if you think you would ever want it." I've been the yes man to everything haha.

I also added in new Cuda440 hood emblems, window crank, window sills, door handle for driver side that was broken etc. Lots of small stuff that I just never got around to doing. I kind of got it running, and just drove it, without hitting all of the important but time consuming stuff. I know if I attempted this scope of work, the car would be laid up for a year.

**Question**

The MSD Box - I had it inside the car before, at my request they moved it to the hood. Is there any reason why you shouldn't mount it on it's side? I remember there being a small pin hole sized drain plug for moisture to drain out?

I'm interested to see the rest of the engine bay, and how the sniper is wired in. I also asked them to clean up my spark plug wires. I never route them correctly and usually end up burning a few on the headers.

Can't wait to see her.

CoonsRT/SE

@Chryco Psycho ---> Have you ever used Lectric Limited 70 Challenger Classic Update Series Complete Harness?

Chryco Psycho

Sorry , no I have not .

BillR1212

Just added some more pictures. I don't think they show much. but figured I'd post them. Hoping to get some finals next week or the week after.

JpRngr

BTW, those spark plug wires zip tied together like that, is a misfire waiting to happen.

JS29

Quote from: JpRngr on October 25, 2019, 10:38:51 PM
BTW, those spark plug wires zip tied together like that, is a misfire waiting to happen.
:iagree: That is why all the manufactures used separators!    :alan2cents:

BillR1212

Yes - Thats my handy work when I installed the engine. I already asked them to do some wire management for me, and they pointed out that they would get the wire's separated.