RIP Pete Rose

Started by RusTy/SE, October 01, 2024, 06:37:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

He was old school and one of the best.
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Cuda Cody

Will they let him in the Hall of Fame now?

RusTy/SE

Personally, I hope so.
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

MEK-Dangerous

Do you know how many positions on the field he played and became an All-Star at each one of them??
Five. 1st, 2nd, 3rd base, then left and right field.

When he was under investigation for gambling and denied it, I was hoping he was clean. I was in his corner. Then a red flag popped up when he agreed to a lifetime ban from baseball if they dropped the investigation. Why on Earth would he agree to that if he was innocent? Then, maybe 10 years later, he was broke and decided to write a tell all book where he admitted to gambling on baseball. So you only tell the truth if it makes you money? That's when he lost me.

He was a great player. The amount of hits he had will never be beat. It's just his questionable character that will keep him out of the Hall Of Fame.

318Stroker

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 01, 2024, 07:18:12 AMWill they let him in the Hall of Fame now?
Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 01, 2024, 07:18:12 AMWill they let him in the Hall of Fame now?

It's not that simple Cody. He is on the MLB permanently ineligible list. First he he would have to be removed from the list by a commissioner. He would then have to be reviewed by the the BBWAA Veterans committee to see if they would want to put him on the veterans ballot. If so, they would vote and he would have to get enough votes from them. There are 16 members on the committee, and he would need 12 for election to the HOF.
The chances of Pete ever going to the HOF are slim and none. And personally, I hope it stays that way.

70_440-6Cuda

I am not a huge fan of baseball, or even sports in general - I am an F1 MotoGP guy.  But my understanding is when he was banned there was an opportunity to be reinstated after 1 year. Was his gambling wrong, sure, was it that detrimental to the sport?  I am not so sure.

What about all the guys on enhancement drugs?  That seems much more detrimental to our youth but it seems to be a much more mild offense.  Kids thinking they cant compete without performance enhancers is a dangerous line.

Plus, what about what he did do in baseball, and for the sport?  I think there is always a time for forgiveness, and does the punishment fit the crime?  Doesn't much matter at this point, but I think he paid his dues :alan2cents:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Cuda Cody

What's worse? Betting on baseball or performance enhancing drugs?

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 02, 2024, 09:15:22 PMWhat's worse? Betting on baseball or performance enhancing drugs?

Cody,
  I'll play ball with you.   :D
Pete Rose was the last player/manager in baseball. So you can easily see how he managed would influence the game. And if he bet on that game... The PED's started in the late 80's, but baseball was behind the curve and didn't start testing for them until the mid-90's. So if a player was on PED's, he might hit more home runs and get a better pay check, but he is just influencing how he plays. That's why guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire are eligible for the hall of fame. They still don't get enough votes every year because of the cloud surrounding them, but maybe someday. 

Gross Polluter

He bet when he was a manager so in an ideal world, his playing career could be recognized in the HOF separate from his few years as a manager but it doesn't work like that.  A rule is a rule and he broke it. 

At the same time, he claims he only bet on his team to win, which rings true to his hyper-competitive personality.  So it's hard to see how that would materially change how he managed since you have to assume every manager manages every game with the goal of winning.  I'm not a betting man so maybe I'm not aware of angles that might create a conflict even with betting to win, like did he bet on every game or only some games? And if he didn't bet on every game, how did he manage the games where he made no bet, and could there be any benefit in losing for him or anyone he knew? Or does it create an uneven playing field among managers in that, those managers who went by the rules and didn't bet, had less motivation to win games against his team?  Would more managers have been more successful if they bet on their teams to win?  No answers to these questions, which is probably the reason the rule is in place. 

All that said, it was a lifetime ban.  So now that he's no longer alive, maybe he's eligible?
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

Brads70

I know next to zero about baseball or sports in general but....If only we held politicians to these standards....