Main Menu

Sign that we’re almost done worrying about coronavirus?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 23, 2020, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Went to a local cruise night and was surprised just how packed it was. As busy as I've ever seen it. I'm taking this as a sign that people are ready to move on with their lives, despite any lingering risks. It was very nice to get out again and I was pleasantly surprised that four other e body cars made it. I've only ever seen one other in my County. Mine is the gold one. There was a nice Challenger ragtop that left before we could get him in the photo.

cudamadd

That's great  getting back to normal slowly, We can only be locked up for so long. Nice photo :australia:

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: cudamadd on May 23, 2020, 09:55:52 PM
That's great  getting back to normal slowly, We can only be locked up for so long. Nice photo :australia:

Thanks. I'm going next month and if I see the Challenger ragtop, I'm gonna talk him into moving over for photos.

benlavigne

We are now allowed meetings of up to 10 people (with proper 6-foot distancing) in Quebec, so even though all official car shows are canceled until September, we are starting to see smaller improvised meets on weeknights, etc... It's going well for older musclecar guys... but police has been called for a few meets, generally involving tuner cars, where things got out of hand...
We had a small meet with a couple of friends this week, lost the habit, only remembered to take pics as we were leaving!

Stay safe everyone,

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on May 24, 2020, 06:37:40 AM
We are now allowed meetings of up to 10 people (with proper 6-foot distancing) in Quebec, so even though all official car shows are canceled until September, we are starting to see smaller improvised meets on weeknights, etc... It's going well for older musclecar guys... but police has been called for a few meets, generally involving tuner cars, where things got out of hand...
We had a small meet with a couple of friends this week, lost the habit, only remembered to take pics as we were leaving!

Stay safe everyone,

Ben

Funny you mention the "Tuner crowd" we just had a crack down the other night where Police issued 180 tickets to guys gathered in a parking lot....
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/peel-police-stop-hundreds-of-drivers-issue-dozens-of-tickets-as-part-of-crackdown-on-street-racing-1.4951624
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

My  :alan2cents:

Never was in " fear" of the coronavirus . Respect it yes, fear no.  When its my time, its my time, simple. We are all going to die and for most of us it won't be a " good time"  I can accept that and don't fear being "dead" . Living takes more courage than dying. Like the Bikers say, live hard die young, leave a good looking corpse! LOL Life is for the living, not the dead.   
We were asked to " flatten the curve" so as to not overwhelm our medical systems.  Made sense,  I understood and participated. We accomplished that. Now its has changed to permanently continue till they find a vaccine.  Which will likely be years down the road( if ever?) and by the time they come up with one it will most definitely have mutated by then rendering it ineffective.( reports out of China say the second wave has mutated)  Something like the flu shot .     ( which I never have participated in, they do not have a good track record with by the way.) Let alone the controversies surrounding whats inside the " vaccine"  Facts as of now is that there is no " cure/magic bullet"  for this. It has to work its way thru our societies till " herd immunity" is achieved. Just like any other virus mankind has endured from the beginning of time. I think history will show that Sweden got it right.     
I do have a fear/ mistrust of some  governments though. Not a fan of being " kettled"  having my various rights, property rights and freedoms taken away step by step, with many never to return. Fear is a powerful weapon, oldest tool in the books to control people.
I'd rather die with my boots on than live on my knees thanks. And with well over 90% survive ability with mild stay at home symptoms, I do not "FEAR" taking my chances . No one can deny the facts that they are padding the death numbers due to covid 19 . You could almost jump out of an airplane without a parachute these days and it would be listed as a covid death. Again, fear is a powerful tool/weapon!   The government up here clearly has not a clue how to handle this . One day, no wearing a mask is ineffective , next everyone should wear one, then no, then yes. Then there is the pathetic hypocrisy of our " leaders" no don't go to your cottages but we can etc... Rules for thee but not for me. Your just a peasant. No thanks !
I firmly believe the quality of my life would be much better with much less government interference. Life is hard enough without the incompetence of more and more government interference in every aspect of my life from cradle to grave. They always seem to run out of other peoples money but never there own? 
This is just the tip of the iceberg, we up here are dealing with.
      https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harrington-lake-renovations-ncc-1.5535502

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

Couldn't agree more. I work for the government and I've always known they are not to be trusted. This past few months has really opened my eyes to the sheep like mentality of common people. Can you think of any other time in human history where people lost their freedom and actually applauded the action?

One of the cornerstones of a free society is the ability to gather and talk or complain if you choose. That was the first thing we lost and everyone was okay with it. All it took was a little fear of getting sick. Imagine how easy it would be to do it again.

jamesroney

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 24, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
Couldn't agree more. I work for the government and I've always known they are not to be trusted. This past few months has really opened my eyes to the sheep like mentality of common people. Can you think of any other time in human history where people lost their freedom and actually applauded the action?

One of the cornerstones of a free society is the ability to gather and talk or complain if you choose. That was the first thing we lost and everyone was okay with it. All it took was a little fear of getting sick. Imagine how easy it would be to do it again.

It wasn't that long ago.  Think Manzanar.  (Japanese Internment Camps.)  They all went "voluntarily."  The Majority applauded the action, and re-elected those responsible over and over. 

US Constitution, Amendment 1: Congress shall make no law...abridging...the right of the people peaceably to assemble.
BS23N0E

70 Challenger Lover

It's a harsh comparison for sure and probably unfair but imagine how the German citizenry felt in the late 30s when their government started rounding up the Jewish population. After all, the Jews were portrayed as being the cause of all the country's problems. It was for the greater good they said and no one disagreed. They all stood by and supported it. Many even applauded. I'd be willing to bet it was warmly regarded and no one saw the danger they supported. There are lessens in that war about the nature of human beings.

I don't think this emergency was fabricated and I don't believe our leaders had ill intent. What I am saying though is that the general population will support any dangerous government behavior if it is marketed in such a way as being for the 'greater good' of society. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

One thing I will take from this crisis is a lack of faith in our medical experts. Our leaders allowed them too much voice to essentially set policy and the policy of any medical expert is to overreact in an extreme way. There is no such thing as too many precautions in their world and they typically don't consider unintended consequences of a proposed action. These are the same folks who would prescribe a liver destroying drug to treat a skin condition. We will never know how many people died in their sleep when they went to bed feeling ill but were too worried to go to the emergency room. Sweden definitely did it right and I hope we remember that next time.

cuda hunter

1st. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

2nd. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The second amendment is as important as the first.  It is there to make sure we understand what must be done to those who take away our right to speech and assembly. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: cuda hunter on May 24, 2020, 11:56:06 AM
1st. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

2nd. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The second amendment is as important as the first.  It is there to make sure we understand what must be done to those who take away our right to speech and assembly.

That's what I find so fascinating about this crisis; For once, the threat was something we all agreed on so when the government came down with emergency orders taking away our right to peaceably assemble, we all accepted it. It demonstrates that if you message something right, you can get universal buy-in and make harsh regulations that eventually become the new normal. In essence, a government has no need to worry about the 2nd Amendment when all citizens universally forfeit their other rights willingly.

cuda hunter

Not all of us.
I know many who did not comply.  I personally visited 4 other states during this outrage. 
And most in my circle only made their collections of peace keepers greater. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

I was noncompliance from day one. I never drink any government cool-aid. :no: