Main Menu

Magazine subscriptions ?

Started by anlauto, April 26, 2019, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Anybody else have a long term magazine subscription for no real reason  :drunk:

I haven't built a plastic model kit for over 25 years yet I still subscribe to Scale Auto magazine....to put it in perspective...my Mom was the one that bought me the subscription back in 1982....I've been a subscriber for 37 years  :o  Of the 251 issues published to date I have 232 of them  ::) That's just nuts !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

I have been a long time subscriber to Mopar Collectors Guide. Can't really say I regret starting my subscription with them. I go all the way back to the late 80's and the Premier edition with them and all the ones that were like a newspaper. I still enjoy reading the articles looking at the classifieds and enjoying the feature cars. Thanks,   Al

Rich G.

Nice collection Allan but that would drive me crazy because I'd have to find the missing magazines being so close to having them all!

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on April 27, 2019, 03:59:47 AM
Nice collection Allan but that would drive me crazy because I'd have to find the missing magazines being so close to having them all!

:haha: I was just thinking the same thing last night :thinking: I see "back issues" listed for sale in their classifieds....but nothing too early...

I'm also a long time subscriber to MCG :twothumbsup:, but not 37 years... :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

benlavigne

@anlauto Alan, I have a few old SAE I discovered a few weeks ago, do you have a list of the ones you are missing?

I used to buy about 12 different magazines each month, R&T, Car and Driver, Automobile... going back to the late 70's, all in order in boxes, could never throw any away, finally found someone a few months ago who wanted to take them all, I filled my Grand Cherokee to the roof with all seats down! They'll probably end up in a recycling bin eventually, but I won't feel bad as if I did it!
Now I am down to the three main Mopar mags, Hemmings Muscle, Muscle Car mag, and a Canadian mag, Bone Stock... All from the magazine rack, except for MCG, cause it gets to me quicker and in an envelope by subscription, and I get the free T Shirt when I renew at Moparfest!

Ben

JH27N0B

I'm a person who has trouble letting go of stuff if I feel it has some potential value to me or someone else now or in the future.  I've been subscribing to magazines since high school and now 30+ years later I'm looking at clutter in my house and magazines make up a large % of it.  I've got MCG magazines dating back to the early 90s.  I've got Hot Rod and Car Craft from my high school and 20s before I dropped those subscriptions.  I've got 10+ years of Hemmings Muscle Car and Hemmings Classic Car, and Muscle Car Review.  I've got other hobbies such as Aviation and have 30 years of magazines like Flying and AOPA pilot.  I've tried to pare down my aviation magazine archives, but find it time consuming to toss them.  I must read the magazine before tossing it in my recycling bin, so it takes 30-60 minutes to dispose of one magazine.  And sometimes I see a feature in one I am especially interested in, so back in the pile it goes rather than out the door for the garbage man to take. 
Maybe I should just throw them all away in mass and accept the fact I accomplished more good than bad in doing so.... :whiteflag:

benlavigne

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 27, 2019, 06:48:29 AM
I'm a person who has trouble letting go of stuff if I feel it has some potential value to me or someone else now or in the future.  I've been subscribing to magazines since high school and now 30+ years later I'm looking at clutter in my house and magazines make up a large % of it.  I've got MCG magazines dating back to the early 90s.  I've got Hot Rod and Car Craft from my high school and 20s before I dropped those subscriptions.  I've got 10+ years of Hemmings Muscle Car and Hemmings Classic Car, and Muscle Car Review.  I've got other hobbies such as Aviation and have 30 years of magazines like Flying and AOPA pilot.  I've tried to pare down my aviation magazine archives, but find it time consuming to toss them.  I must read the magazine before tossing it in my recycling bin, so it takes 30-60 minutes to dispose of one magazine.  And sometimes I see a feature in one I am especially interested in, so back in the pile it goes rather than out the door for the garbage man to take. 
Maybe I should just throw them all away in mass and accept the fact I accomplished more good than bad in doing so.... :whiteflag:

Just do it!
It is great to get space back (for more, different useless stuff...  :-[
Most of the info in those old mags, especially the Mopar ones, is usually obsolete or has been proven wrong later on...
And most of it is now available online...

Ben

anlauto

Ben, my missing SAE are easy #1-#17.

I have well over 1000 magazines. Every Mopar one from the late 80's to 2000....If anybody is looking for a certain issue in those years of Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle, High Performance Mopar, Chrysler Power, etc...I likely have it...