Main Menu

Slot Car Racing In Brooklyn

Started by RusTy/SE, December 22, 2019, 08:06:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

There is a bit of a backstory to this. I spent the weekend before Thanksgiving on a long planned visit to NYC to see my oldest brother Ed who's 86 - he and his wife Barbara have been suggesting that I come up and visit while he's still around and this was to be the weekend everything came together.

I book the flight, my brother's wife finds a place (guesthouse) called Incentra Village Hotel. It's small but nice and clean and literally the next block from their apartment house on 8th Ave in the West Village. Cool!

I contacted my best friend Tony to let him know I would be in the city since I don't get back home as often as I'd like and when I told him I'd love it if he could make it, within 30 minutes he'd booked a flight from Charlotte arriving less than two hours after me. Cooler!! Me and Tony grew up a couple of addresses apart in Brooklyn and first met in 67 give or take and shared all sorts of adventures together before I moved to Alabama in Jan 74.

Longer story short, I probably spent two hours over the four nights and three days I was there with my brother. The rest of the time I was hanging out with my best friend which brings us to the Slot Car Racing.

Being a car guy I was predictably into mostly HO slot cars back then - which I still have - and me and Tony often went to Buzz-A-Rama on weekends to kill a few hours racing HO or 1/24 scale cars. Fast forward 50+ years and since we were already in Brooklyn, and knew they would be open Saturday, off we went.

We happened to be the only two on the 'Yellow' track, the same one we used to enjoy so much back then and for the one hour of rental time purchased we were those two kids again.  :stayinlane:  :stayinlane:

:takemymoney:

Pic 1 I was out of position
Pic 2 Controllers!! :)
Pic 3 A kiss as a goof - as only best friends can get away with - and I just lost it and busted out laughing :D
Pic 4 Celebration dinner at Ben's Deli in Manhattan afterwards  :yes: :inlove:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

BIGSHCLUNK

Brads70

Nice to meet up with old friends! You look happy!  :bravo:

71cudaddict

Yes know the place well spent a lot of cold winter Saturdays there starred with h.o cars Buzz is a good guy great memories thanks for sharing.

anlauto

I would love to get together with my old friends sometime....everybody is always so busy :drinkingbud:

I'm sure your sister-in-law was thrilled you only spent two hours visiting with them... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on December 23, 2019, 07:55:38 AM
I would love to get together with my old friends sometime....everybody is always so busy :drinkingbud:

I'm sure your sister-in-law was thrilled you only spent two hours visiting with them... :haha: :haha:
Well, when you farm your BIL out after not seeing him much and asking him to come, you get what you get. It looks like you guys had fun! I've still got some of my HO and 1:24 stuff, too. Dynacans Ho!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RusTy/SE

Yeah... I may be paying for that. I arrived home at 1130pm NYC time and made sure I texted thanks for the time spent with them since it was so late.
JS29U0B

RusTy/SE

Quote from: jimynick on December 23, 2019, 09:20:58 PM

Well, when you farm your BIL out after not seeing him much and asking him to come, you get what you get. It looks like you guys had fun! I've still got some of my HO and 1:24 stuff, too. Dynacans Ho!  :cheers:

We did have nothing but fun, and food lol.

Not the first time I hung out with Tony a little too long and had to explain myself :sorry: :handshake:

JS29U0B

jimynick

Quote from: RusTy/SE on December 28, 2019, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: jimynick on December 23, 2019, 09:20:58 PM

Life's short bro; enjoy, and just for the record, there's lots of us who have "Tonys" as buddies, so you're not in a small club there. LOL  :cheers:

We did have nothing but fun, and food lol.

Not the first time I hung out with Tony a little too long and had to explain myself :sorry: :handshake:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

MOPAR MITCH

T/Anks for sharing the slot car experience... I used to race them back in the late 60s-70s; occasionally still go to a local big track that I've discovered near my home.

Dakota

It's great to see that there are some tracks still in business.   I remember going to a big indoor track with my brother when we were kids.   I think I spent more time working on my "car" than driving it... kind of like now with my Challenger.  Good memories!

mopartaz

i remember driving by a slot car place in north NJ somewhere on way to a winery

Chryco Psycho

As a kid from about 10 yo on I was consumed with slot cars , when they didn't perform well enough I would modify them often making them 30% or more faster