Main Menu

Storage question

Started by blown motor, October 16, 2022, 07:16:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

When I put the cars away for the winter I fill the tank and put fuel stabilizer in them. What if I don't burn that tank of fuel before the next winter? Will that fuel still be okay to sit another winter? What do these people with big collections do?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

moparroy

I believe if you go by mfg recos, fuel stabilizer is only good / effective for 6 months.
I have never found I need it in EFI cars - my '85 or 2010 - they fire up just fine and instantly in the spring. The 2010 Challenger will sit for up to 10 months - once even 12 with no issue. I do fill it with top Octane fuel as Octane does diminish.  And I have had seasons with minimal mileage not replenishing a full tank and still no issues. I will say on the '85 Turbo you can notice a difference in performance when fresh gas is added in the spring - subtle but sometimes noticeable.
I do use stabilizer in my small engines cause they can use starting help in the spring. I also use it in my '82 GL1100 which is carbureted - it is typically hard to start  but I suspect that has more to do with time to pump the floats full on it than fuel issues. Recently used spray of gas or quick start in the air intake to help. The GL1100 has a mech fuel pump and is not gravity feed to the carbs.
From a brief period I helped out at a classic dealership / resto shop I can tell you they did nothing - no stabilizers - the only thing they did was every car (excl modern exotics) got a battery disconnect installed and disconnected whenever sat. Some cars moved in and out fast but some there for years.
When the gas gets really stale you will know it. We had one car come in. It was impossible to start - one time as I tried a mechanic came by and said don't you smell that foul fuel - and it did stink - that fuel was beyond usable - good chance it had sat for years based on where it came from. To start the car we took a spritz bottle of gas and sprayed it into the intake. You could keep the car running mostly on the stale gas but it would not start on it. Mechanic said need to drain and refresh fuel - I was dismayed to see the car sold and shipped with the stale fuel still in it.

benguin

If at all possible, in addition to using fuel stabilizer use non-ethanol gas.  It will go much longer than any ethanol blends.  In fact, I don't even want to tell you how old the gas was that I drained from my tank this summer, but it was still "ok".   The lawn mower ran without a hitch on it, and the car had been through several "start it up" cycles to keep things moving and warm it up from time to time over the past several years.

blown motor

The car in question has mid grade in it which is 5% ethanol.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Filthy Filbert

Machines are meant to be run.  Not sit. If you can't even manage to burn 15 gallons of fuel per year by driving,  you're going to have much bigger issues than fuel going stale.