Main Menu

The Eagle Creek fire - relieved :cheers:

Started by oldmoparbuff, September 19, 2017, 12:04:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

oldmoparbuff

I live in the Columbia River Gorge, East of Corbett, South of the rim.
The Crown Point Structure, the round concrete building that sits high near the rim of the gorge, is about 2 miles East of my house.

On Labor day I was a bit nervous as the fire began to evolve and move with the wind.
The East wind carried ash and smoke continuously past my house.
My wife and I began moving items that could not be replaced to a friends house in the city.

The County Sheriff stopped by my house at 3:00 AM on Tuesday morning and advised us to evacuate.
Once I knew my family, daughter and cats were safe, I went back to the house.

Tuesday and Wednesday were a blur for me, little sleep.
I ran sprinklers around my house and on the roof (I have never watered a roof before).
I cleared shrubs and trees from around the house.
This was ironic, as I spent all summer watering to keep the plants green to using a chain saw to remove them.

I continually walked the perimeter of the house looking for falling embers.
The immediate fire danger subsided, after Wednesday, with more favorable winds and my duty switched from fire watch to security.
I should say that my German Shepherd was with me most of the time.  She was awesome through this ordeal.

Finally after 2 weeks family and pets are back home and things can return to normal.

It's interesting what goes through your mind, and how you prioritize tasks when you try to pack items on short notice.
I am happy to report no damage to my house or property.
I did collect burned debris from the yard.
My neighbor across the street hayed his field the week before the fire.  He found scorch marks in his pasture.

I am grateful to all of the firefighters from near and far that showed up to battle this fire.

We do need to rethink forest management practices in the NW.

Chryco Psycho

This year has been very bad for Fires & hurricanes , you figure out what really matter when you go through these events
Glad you made out OK & everyone is safe

Roadman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 19, 2017, 12:27:55 PM
This year has been very bad for Fires & hurricanes , you figure out what really matter when you go through these events
Glad you made out OK & everyone is safe

:iagree:  And earthquakes.  Another one in Mexico today. 

Cuda Cody

We are down the road in Brush Prairie and the smoke was so thick at times here I could not image how hard it must had been to be as close as you were.   So glad to hear you are okay. 

J-Code Jeni

Oh thank goodness @oldmoparbuff , you/your family are okay through those awful fires. It's been heartbreaking to hear the damage to the wildlife, people & beauty of the Gorge.  :crying:  I really appreciate you sharing your story, & that of your faithful friend, really puts things in perspective.

RUNCHARGER

Glad you're okay: When we had to evacuate a few years ago we had about 1 hour from when the fire started until we had to leave. I had to leave the Orange Challenger behind uninsured. It is not pleasant to go through. My friend Greg had the same issue this year, about 30 minutes and he had to leave his 71 Cuda behind. we were both lucky in the end though.
Sheldon

Jay Bee

Wow, just wow. Living here I can't even imagine what you went through (and RUNCHARGER). Glad that it all had a happy ending, excepts maybe for the shrubs.

oldmoparbuff

Thanks all.

Your brain does odd things under stressful conditions.  I was helping my wife put stuff away in the kitchen when she moved back.
She had packed a full paper bag of vitamins.  Enough vitamins for 6 months.
We both laughed about that.

Leaving the car behind was tough.